A tale of two ferrules.

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Cat
Chub

A tale of two ferrules.

Post by Cat »

Hi All
I'm wondering if any one has, or knows where I may be able to find the correct ferrules for a B. James MkIV please? I'd also like to find a set for a 550, but I'm not quite as fussed about these being the correct ones (just that they fit). Both rods are users, but are coming to that stage in their lives when they may need some TLC in the autumn. Although both current sets are tight, they have both developed slight ticks this season (I suppose I could leave them as they aren't going to come apart even with Pickle Barrel on (perchance to dream!), but I do like a fettle)...
Regards Cat

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: A tale of two ferrules.

Post by Catfish.017 »

The slight tick is more likely to be the ferrule moving on the cane as you say they are quite tight.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply...that was quick! Yes, you may well be correct, but the tell-tale signs don't appear to be there (certainly not loose) and I believe it may just be a tad of wear on the very end of the male ferrules, so I thought that if I'm taking them off I may as well put new(ish) ones on anyway.
Regards Cat.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Olivers used to do a lovely set of ferrules for Carp type rods, not cheap but best quality. I am not sure if still open, maybe someone on here can give you some guidance.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Cat wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:03 pm Hi,
Thanks for the reply...that was quick! Yes, you may well be correct, but the tell-tale signs don't appear to be there (certainly not loose) and I believe it may just be a tad of wear on the very end of the male ferrules, so I thought that if I'm taking them off I may as well put new(ish) ones on anyway.
Regards Cat.
You'd be surprised how tight on the cane a loose ferrule can be! That may be an oxymoron but it's true. Recently I had a situation like this with my Milwards Swim Master refurbed in 2017. I assembled the two sections then gripped the ferrule as tightly as I dared in a vice. The cane in the middle section was firm on the ferrule but the top section moved in the Male ferrule. I had to apply heat to remove and reset it then all was well.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Nice rod, and funnily enough I had a similar issue with a Spinversa that I restored during the lockdown. I'll have another play around with the 550, but definitely want to replace the MkIV, so will keep on searching (and will look up Olivers - thanks)

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”