Mordex 'Merlin' replacement centre boss.

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Watermole+
Chub

Mordex 'Merlin' replacement centre boss.

Post by Watermole+ »

It would seem that the pressure exerted by the very strong, latch lever spring caused the plastic end cap to fail in this particular case.
For some reason, the centre end-float adjusting screw was a steel one-which is not good for the spindle-also of steel-and had worn a 'pip' onto the end of it.

A replacement end cap made from brass, the spindle end refinished and radius-ed, a new brass grub screw and a lighter latch spring have given this one a new lease of life!
I made a couple of 'spare' end caps "just in case.." from brass, but they could well be made from aluminium alloy instead.
If there is sufficient interest, it might be worthwhile making a small batch...?

The original plastic cap is in front and you can see the edge breaking away.

Regards,

wm+ :Hat:

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Silfield
Brown Trout

Re: Mordex 'Merlin' replacement centre boss.

Post by Silfield »

That really adds something to the overall appearance of the Merlin.
Lovely :Hat:
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

That is lovely work.
My Merlin also came with a deformed centre boss. A kind friend made me a brass replacement as a favour but l dare not ask him to make me another.
Watermole,if you do make a small batch for sale l would definately like one .
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

BarbusFisher
Stickleback

Post by BarbusFisher »

This is my Merlin reel and I am new to the site. When Watermole+ offered to make the boss for me I had no idea that I was dealing with a Master Craftsman who provided his wonderful skills to not just replace the boss but straighten out the whole reel for me, spokes and everything. I am very pleased with the result and look forward to using the reel for my barbel fishing.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

A vast improvement to the original.
A lot of the post war Youngs reels would also benefit from similar conversions and I am sure they would be very popular indeed.

Wal.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Over the years I have been asked about these replacement centre bosses many, many times. I'd definitely make a few whilst the tooling is still in place....you WILL get asked again. Nice job, as always

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

if anyone is going to make any more of these, put me down for 3...
I have 3 Merlin's for my Sharpe's carp rods, a couple of the plastic bosses are cracked so a brass or ally replacement would be ideal
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Eddy Pools
Rudd

Post by Eddy Pools »

When I contacted Watermole+ to purchase a brass replacement end cap for my Merlin he offered to overhaul the reel and fit it - an offer which I gladly accepted as my reel had had a tough life before I bought it a couple of years ago.

I've received the reel back and the transformation is remarkable.

The replacement cap is first class - the bevelled edge, the brass adjustment screw, and new closure spring are all excellent details. Leszek also straightened out the line drum (which had a lot of deformities), cleaned and resurfaced the centre boss, reset and straightened the locking lever, polished the spindle end, and adjusted the spokes.

The reel now spins freely and smoothly - it is hard to believe that it is the same reel!

Many thanks to Leszek for doing such a perfect job and giving my old reel a new lease of life.

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

My Mentor was a bent and seized pig's ear when l got it. Thanks to optimism and ignorance I managed to turn it into a slightly straighter pig's ear that spun a bit . Enter WM with his knowledge ,tools and his magic. It's a Mordex Mentor ,hardly silk purse material, but nevertheless thanks to WM l have a reel that not only works properly but benefits from improvements that should keep it doing so for a long time.

Note that l went for the aluminium centre boss rather than brass.
I really would've liked to thank WM for his work by posting a picture of the reel next to a decent fish that it had helped subdue. With me holding the rod such an event could be long time coming though.😁
Thank You Watermole!
20200813_163756_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Post by Evert van der Plas »

They look great Watermole , i try to make them my self but was not that easy when i have more time i will do a new attempt for them, i ordered them before in Germany and bough 50 off them and where cnc made unfortunately they don;t make them any more . all have been used on refurbished Mordex Merlin reels.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”