6061 or 6082 aluminium for centrepin?

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Tench Trotter
Stickleback

6061 or 6082 aluminium for centrepin?

Post by Tench Trotter »

Hello members, I am planning a project to make a centrepin on my lathe. I am wondering what grade of aluminium would be best to turn and then anodise blue? Also what material for centre bush, bronze or brass and what grade stainless for the pin? Many thanks TT

Fredline
Tench

Re: 6061 or 6082 aluminium for centrepin?

Post by Fredline »

Check out Watermoles threads, you will need to look no further.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

For a traditional pin you will have to melt the aluminium from ore and cast the basic shape in sand, then finish off on a pole lathe. All screws will have to be hand cut and any other materials used need to be sourced from nature.

Or you could use something that was left over from the space race, still pretty vintage when you think about it.

:Chuckle:

Seriously TT, Whatever you do use, dont forget to show us the results.
We all love to see tff creations and making reels is way beyond the majority of us so please if you can, make a post showing the construction in stages.

Wal.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Dear friends,I cannot quote on he Aluminium 6061 in this post as I have never used either but the Aluminium I’ve used was HE30 and HE 40 both and easily to buy and a reasonable price.The best bearing is made from phosphorus bronze ,Aluminium bronze or sintered bronze.these can be bought from Metal Stockists,Hope this helps your project.Reelmaker

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”