Patching a Match Aerial

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Stathamender
Tench

Patching a Match Aerial

Post by Stathamender »

My M-A has got a few patches on the inside surface of the spool where the paint has come off. Can anyone recommend a paint either for patching or painting the whole surface. Maybe something Hammerite would be best.
Iain

What is your favourite word?
I suspect it could be “love”, despite its drawbacks in the rhyming department.
Björn Ulvaeus

Fredline
Tench

Re: Patching a Match Aerial

Post by Fredline »

Try this. Apparently Halfords do a generic touch up paint that is just as good.
https://traditionalfisherman.com/viewto ... nt#p381344
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

I’d use Humbrol enamel for two reasons, 1, I painted a whole motorcycle frame with 2 of the little pots which still looks very good after 5000 miles, and 2, I still have some :)
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Fredline wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:21 pm Try this. Apparently Halfords do a generic touch up paint that is just as good.
Interesting. They don't have the Mazda one but I assum the Nissan one is the same. BTW the Mazda generic bronze is ideal for the gold G&Y ARS, something I discovered as the wife has an MX5 and I have the reel.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Dipper wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:27 pm I’d use Humbrol enamel for two reasons, 1, I painted a whole motorcycle frame with 2 of the little pots which still looks very good after 5000 miles, and 2, I still have some :)
Possibly satin finish better than matt.
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Stathamender wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:31 pm
Fredline wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:21 pm Try this. Apparently Halfords do a generic touch up paint that is just as good.
Interesting. They don't have the Mazda one but I assum the Nissan one is the same. BTW the Mazda generic bronze is ideal for the gold G&Y ARS, something I discovered as the wife has an MX5 and I have the reel.
Darn it, my G&Y ARS is silver and the girlfriends MX5 is red! :Hahaha:
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Stathamender
Tench

Post by Stathamender »

Duckett wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:55 pm
Good motor the MX5, we've had ours nearly 20 years now with little trouble other than old age (bit like me). But it's absolutely useless for transporting tackle (unless you're a minimalist).
Iain

Björn Ulvaeus

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Stathamender wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:42 am

Good motor the MX5, we've had ours nearly 20 years now with little trouble other than old age (bit like me). But it's absolutely useless for transporting tackle (unless you're a minimalist).
Helen is on her second! The current one has the tin lid. I know of one person in an angling club of which I am a member who uses an MX5 for his fishing. He is even more minimalist then I am when lure fishing and trotting - vest, shoulder bag, walkstool, small unhooking mat, rod and landing net (telescopic or walking pole handle depending on terrain). Think I could fit that in her car.
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

PeteD
Rudd

Post by PeteD »

Stathamender wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:42 am
Agree with that. Great cars. I had a Mk1 for a few years and it was reliable and great fun. I still miss it now. Might have to get another one some day. The prices for good Mk 1s ones are really going up now as they are certainly going to be a classic.

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”