HELP Mitchell 304 anti reverse pawl spring

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Jeremy.Airey
Minnow

HELP Mitchell 304 anti reverse pawl spring

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

Hello Chaps

Please could someone tell me how to replace the anti reverse clicker spring (?) wire thingy.
It is the one under the main drive gear on the handle sideplate and although I have a schematic no way can I get the little sucker to stay put. It is probably very simple when you know how but so far it has beaten me. This is a freak suprise as up until then this was the easiest reel apart from pins I have ever worked on .
I could of course just leave the anti reverse off but not doing the job properly would just irk me.
:hairpull: :hairpull:
Please help .
Thanks
Jeremy

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: HELP Mitchell 304 anti reverse pawl spring

Post by Catfish.017 »

Hi Jeremy, I'm not sure if it's the same arrangement as the 314. I had a look at a 314 I have for spares and indeed it is a pig to relocate.. This one looks like half a paper clip and the rounded end sits on a shallow boss cast into the side plate. One end of the spring sticks upward and locates in a tiny hole in the Pawl. The difficulty lies in the fact that the Pawl also sits on a raised Boss and lifting this into position then causes the spring to detach from the Pawl! I must admit I failed to get it back in place last night. I will try again today.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I'm not familiar with the inards of these particular reels but can I offer a tip I got from servicing big game multipliers - sometimes a stroke or two with a magnet can help two steel parts stick to each other when faced with an awkward reassembly. Other alternatives are are dab of thick grease or to make a tool/jig to act as a 3rd hand. Good luck :Hat:

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Finally got it taking Liphooks advice I magnetised the spring, located it in the tiny hole in the Pawl and it stayed in place as I inverted the Pawl to fit over the Boss!

Jeremy.Airey
Minnow

Post by Jeremy.Airey »

Hi Chaps

Thankyou so much for the help I finally got my click back.
i must say magnetising the spring and pawl was a genius idea :Hat: .
The final piece of the puzzle was in Mr Catfish's post . It came in the the shape of one word - INVERTED, with this very obvious piece of instruction I was unable to fathom from any of the photos or schematics enabled me to fettle the 304 good and proper. It is amazing how I never fathomed this as I am no stranger to servicing reels, oh well must have been a bad brain day. All that remains nowi s to go fishing with it if the horrible lockdown ever ends. this was still a very fidldly operation that only took 4287 attempts to get right :Tongue: :Sarcasm: . oh well .....
I am thinking of eventually repainting the reel and was wondering if any one could save me some time and tell me if an axact match for the paint exists as although i am sure any matt/satin satin finish black would do it would be nice to give the old boy a proper respray, BTW was the lettering on the body white or silver?
in case it is of any help to anybody i was able to source some rather shiney brass screws at Westfield Fastenrs which rejoiced in the appelation M2 x 16 SLOT CSK SCREW DIN 963 Brass and they fitted very well and were not the ridiculous price of original screws at arounda= a fiver for fifteen incl.pp. Also i did find a youtube video of a guy servicing a 304 but I noticed even he did not take apart the antireverse mechanism :Sarcasm: .

Again thanks all for your help
Jeremy

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”