25 yard Hendryx hard rubber fly reel restoration

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Ghstrydr164
Stickleback

25 yard Hendryx hard rubber fly reel restoration

Post by Ghstrydr164 »

Some time back I did a restoration on a 25 yard Hendryx hard rubber fly reel. It cleaned up better than I expected, but it had a missing screw. The reel measures 1 3/4" diameter.

Before cleaning.
ImageImage
ImageImage

After cleaning with its big brother the 40 yard model.
ImageImage
ImageImage

From what I have researched the same screws were used on many different models including the casting reels.

The screws on this reel measure, overall length 267/1000s, threaded stem diameter 100/1000s and head diameter 112/1000s. The screws are N/P brass with most of the plating gone.

I didn't clean or polish the Hard Rubber. When I received the reel I gave it a good spraying of Boeshield T-9 to loosen the screws before I attempted to remove them for fear of breaking them off. When the Boeshield T-9 dried it left the Hard Rubber in its current condition and the screws came out very easily. All metal was given the Vinegar treatment and then polished with Never -Dull wadding, which removed the flaking Nickel plating.

I received two screws that Paul (canesterdf) was kind enough to provide me with.

The screws were of proper size and thread pitch but the top half of them was not threaded and when I tried to use them they stopped short of full seating, with the screw head above the surface of the reel plate. I did not have a die of that small size to cut new threads on the un-threaded section, so I decided to cut the un-threaded portion of the screw down to allow it to enter the threaded hole of the reel foot and seat the screw head in the reel plate. I domed the flat top of the screw to match the other screws and add some patina to match them as well.

I am quite pleased with the results.

***Always looking for Reuben Heaton Reels less then 3" in size!***

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Re: 25 yard Hendryx hard rubber fly reel restoration

Post by Barbelseeker »

Well done - a complete transformation

Scott
Tench

Post by Scott »

Very nice job. I've never seen a rubber reel before. Will you fish with it?

Ghstrydr164
Stickleback

Post by Ghstrydr164 »

Scott wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:15 am Very nice job. I've never seen a rubber reel before. Will you fish with it?
Ebonite is a brand name for a material generically known as hard rubber, and is obtained by vulcanizing natural rubber for prolonged periods. Ebonite may contain from 25% to 80% sulfur and linseed oil. ... The material has also been called vulcanite, although that name formally refers to the mineral vulcanite.

Over hear we refer to it as Hard Rubber. I probably will not fish it but I like to collect small reels.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

That's both an unusual reel and a great restoration :Thumb:

Ghstrydr164
Stickleback

Post by Ghstrydr164 »

Liphook wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:59 pm That's both an unusual reel and a great restoration :Thumb:
I have never seen another 25 yard Hard Rubber Hendryx fly reel and only one other in the 40 yard size in over 20 years of chasing fly reels online.

Champ
Chub

Post by Champ »

A first class restoration! :Hat: .

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”