5 old reels for 20quid....

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

5 old reels for 20quid....

Post by BoltonBullfinch »

I was in my local fishing tackle shop this afternoon and a old boy came in and asked the shop owner if he was interested in a mitchell 386. The owner said no thanks and off the old boy trotted. My ears pricked up at this and I asked the shop owner if this happened often, he said it does happen on a regular basis and it can be just a old reel, up to a full outfit, sometimes cane rods etc. He then went on to tell me he turns all the old stuff away normally, so I have asked him if any cane rods or old reels come knocking to let me have a look. He said no problem will do, and also said he has a box of cheap old reels out back that he never got round to putting on fleabay. I picked out five of the reels, mitchell 304, diawa 1050, new de luxe?, intrepid super twin and a k p morritts intrepid de luxe. The mitchell was the one I wanted most but it looked to be in the worse shape, but they were all covered in a decent layer of crud. I have stripped the 304 down, cleaned all the crud and old red grease from every part and now want to put it back together and use it on the Yorkshire perch and cake hunting soiree that is coming up shortly. What I would like to know is, is there any preffered grease to use on old reels, I just always used castrol lmp car grease years ago, but wondered if there was anything better available for these old boys. They certainly deserve the best having survived all this time.

Thanks
BB
'We fish a lot' Forrest Gump.

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Re: 5 old reels for 20quid....

Post by ReelMaker »

Good evening ,I think a light grease would be okay,I've always found it okay,avoid the heavy grease ,are the I ntrepids good if so why not sell them.Reelmaker

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Thanks for the grease advice, I will hunt some light grease down but I'm not sure where from yet.
I would like to clean all the reels up first and get them looking clean but still carrying any scars they may have. Then I think they will go on show in my fishing shed and hopefully they will all get the odd outing doing what is intended of them. Obviously if anyone was looking for a particular reel and I had one I would certainly consider passing a reel on to a new life.

Thanks
BB

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

Re the Mitchell service -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfw_5-rYKng

Don't blame me if you fail to put it back together correctly!
As I did.

BoltonBullfinch
Arctic Char

Banksy wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:11 pm Re the Mitchell service -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfw_5-rYKng

Don't blame me if you fail to put it back together correctly!
As I did.
Thanks for the link banksy, but the 304 is a completely different reel from the 300. It's much simpler inside than the 300 which in itself is very simple, yet very reliable, a true classic and the greatest ever reel in my mind....

Thanks
BB

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”