Allcocks Match Aerial Rim-lever check conversion.

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Liphook
Barbel

Re: Allcocks Match Aerial Rim-lever check conversion.

Post by Liphook »

Thank you for showing us this excellent adaptation WM+ :Hat: It's not something that I have the skills nor tools to do myself but I know a man who might

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Actually....just how do you cut that slot??

I imagine a hole drilled at each end first....maybe a whole series of them joining up, or almost so...but then what?

Don't tell me you've built a plasma cutter or a laser beam...'cos if you do I will, on past experience, have to believe you.... :Hat:

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Nobby wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:31 pm Actually....just how do you cut that slot??

I imagine a hole drilled at each end first....maybe a whole series of them joining up, or almost so...but then what?

Don't tell me you've built a plasma cutter or a laser beam...'cos if you do I will, on past experience, have to believe you.... :Hat:
I'd imagine the backplate is mounted in the lathe chuck and a small milling cutter is mounted in a motorised toolpost. With a simple indexing attachment it should be quite easy to mill that slot

Beyond me though!
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Watermole+
Chub

Post by Watermole+ »

[quote=Hovis

I'd imagine the backplate is mounted in the lathe chuck and a small milling cutter is mounted in a motorised toolpost. With a simple indexing attachment it should be quite easy to mill that slot

Beyond me though!
[/quote]

Hovis....I wish!

A proper engineer would use a Mill or rotary table I imagine, but there was definitely nothing that I found easy cutting that slot, because the extreme ends of it also limit the rotation of the existing soft alloy cam, the part to which I attached the lever.

I calculated and marked the travel limits with pencil, drilled through first with a 1/16” drill, roughly cut out between them and filed flat with thin, warding files, draw-file finishing with a thin contact breaker file.

It was not possible to use the attachment which I made for the lathe because of the size limitations and necessary overhang imposed by the reel diameter, plus attachment plus chuck plus drill or cutter.

By the way, that attachment is not and never was motorised....it is all very much “handraulic”!

Nobby...lasers are not possible, but am thinking along the lines of spark eroding.... :Wink:

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? Yet one of them shall not fall without your Father knoweth" ..Jesus of Nazareth, King James AV

Hovis
Tench

Post by Hovis »

Watermole+ wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:37 pm [quote=Hovis

Beyond me though!
Hovis....I wish!

A proper engineer would use a Mill or rotary table I imagine, but there was definitely nothing that I found easy cutting that slot, because the extreme ends of it also limit the rotation of the existing soft alloy cam, the part to which I attached the lever.

I calculated and marked the travel limits with pencil, drilled through first with a 1/16” drill, roughly cut out between them and filed flat with thin, warding files, draw-file finishing with a thin contact breaker file.

It was not possible to use the attachment which I made for the lathe because of the size limitations and necessary overhang imposed by the reel diameter, plus attachment plus chuck plus drill or cutter.

By the way, that attachment is not and never was motorised....it is all very much “handraulic”!

Nobby...lasers are not possible, but am thinking along the lines of spark eroding.... :Wink:
[/quote]

So nothing buy skill and time then! I've seen your "hand cranked" attachment (I think) simple wonderful.

I'm lucky and have a quick release tool post so I turned a holder that fits in the boring bar holder and has an er11 collect between 2 bearings which is held in place by a captive collar. I run this with a flexi attachment to a dremal - crude but workable.
I have laid aside business, and gone a'fishing.

Izaak Walton

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

When Leszek says " hand-made" he means hand-made....mostly his hands and some files.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Great adaptation and absolutely necessary. I use my ring finger generally, to move the rim lever, whilst trotting.

We were chatting about this on Friday and it’s one of those things you do without thinking about it! Beresford is a little finger operator, apparently!
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Horgaszember
Minnow

Post by Horgaszember »

I own one of these 4 1/2" Allcocks match aerials, and indeed, using the original knob is quite frustrating. There are two reasons I do not run and start this rim-lever check conversion: First of all: I would like to keep it original, as it is like brand new, and more importantly, I am unable to do it with my skills :)

Dom Andrew
Rudd

Post by Dom Andrew »

That looks good.
You have a great skill, Leszek.

Dom. :Hat:

Lucky Strike
Perch

Post by Lucky Strike »

This is great. I love the anti kink line lay segments, where canI get those for my match aerial? Did you make them yourself?

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”