Why are Ambidex's a dream to restore and work on?

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Why are Ambidex's a dream to restore and work on?

Post by Tonytoned »

Hello Everyone

I picked a job lot of vintage fishing tackle from Netherhampton Sporting Auction on Saturday, the box contained about seven reels floats, tackle boxes and more all for £15. Among the reels was this Ambidex casting reel. It was slightly corrodide, dried out, the bail arm did not engage and the bearings in the spool housing were a bit gungded up, but taking it apart was an absolute joy. Once it was cleaned up and re-oiled and greased it worked a treat.
But what I also like about them is there simple design and their innards never seem to wear much, tough old reels.

I love em! :Thumb:

Cat
Chub

Re: Why are Ambidex's a dream to restore and work on?

Post by Cat »

Hi,
Interesting in respect that having three Ambidex (all wearing proper battle scars), and having stripped and serviced all, two of mine are like proverbial sewing machines (to quote Nobby), and the other has been an absolute nightmare to get 'balanced" - principally the bale arm function, but also the clutch. Straight forward to work on, but I agree with Nobby in that get a good one and you are in luck, get an ordinary one and it's a challenge. I've found that they seem to prefer a light oil (I use Bisley gun oil), and found that grease seemed detrimental to function...all this probably compounded by the gear material narrative.
I'm going to have a go with a Mk Six for a bit of margin carping this season.
Enjoy!
Regards Cat

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Cat wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:58 am Hi,
Interesting in respect that having three Ambidex (all wearing proper battle scars), and having stripped and serviced all, two of mine are like proverbial sewing machines (to quote Nobby), and the other has been an absolute nightmare to get 'balanced" - principally the bale arm function, but also the clutch. Straight forward to work on, but I agree with Nobby in that get a good one and you are in luck, get an ordinary one and it's a challenge. I've found that they seem to prefer a light oil (I use Bisley gun oil), and found that grease seemed detrimental to function...all this probably compounded by the gear material narrative.
I'm going to have a go with a Mk Six for a bit of margin carping this season.
Enjoy!
Regards Cat
Thank you Cat. I agree they prefer oil, I just put a very thin coating of grease in certain areas. I think there great reels.
Tightlines Cat. It'll be nice to see some images of what you catch

:Hat:

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

The bail arms can be a bit temperamental but I have found this can be usually solved with a new spring They can be obtained from Gary Mills. I also like Sealey Flocasts.
Mark Davies

Tonytoned
Arctic Char

Post by Tonytoned »

Penninelad wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:57 am The bail arms can be a bit temperamental but I have found this can be usually solved with a new spring They can be obtained from Gary Mills. I also like Sealey Flocasts.
I'll have to keep an eye out for those. :Thumb:

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

'Tightlines!' ... lovely, my Dad (not a fisherman) always shouted that to me when I was a kid leaving the house (I don't think he'd seen it on the front of an Abu magazine I'd left lying around (perchance to dream!)).
Replacing the springs courtesy of Garry does indeed makes difference, but also adjusting / balancing the screws in the cup too...akin to a Greek mytholoical torture, but satisfying once done.
Cat.

Evert van der Plas
Perch

Post by Evert van der Plas »

The Ambidex reels are just to nice for me and i love to refurbish these reels.
This is what i did with a bad looking Ambidex reel and played with the colors a bit but i like the result very much.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I love the early half bail versions, they are so rewarding once sorted out properly and just look amazing on an old rod.
They are so much nicer to use than a Mitchell half bail too. Maybe not as good as a Mitchell 300 for long casting but I love using them for light line float fishing.

Wal.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I love the colours you chose Evert, it's a stunning restoration :Thumb:

ReelMaker
Brown Trout

Post by ReelMaker »

Hi friends,I always had a soft spot for the Alcocks Duco with a black finish,,.Half bail is handy to ,now I'm looking for a good a Hardex ,just a nice little reel and so simple.Reelmaker

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”