Rapidex parts required!

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Liphook
Barbel

Rapidex parts required!

Post by Liphook »

Following Nobby''s excellent tutorial on converting Youngs reels to check correctly when used LHW, I managed to alter my Truedex to work beautifully - thanks Nobby :Hat:
Late morning I returned to my friends farm workshop to grind a Rapidex pawl and give the reel a general fettle. After initial disassembly and degrease, I was kindly distracted by the offer of lunch with the farmer and his wife - no sane man refuses home made lamb hotpot with pickled beetroot and red cabbage! Two portions and a pot of tea later I returned to the bench grinder to find things had moved! I found the spool cap parts on the floor but the bakelite was cracked and the centre screw and lever spring was missing. Checking over the bench I couldn't find the pawl anywhere either! Vanished! A quick radio message from farmer John came back with denials from his farm workers. Nobody had been in the workshop apparently, therefore it must have been Mr Nobody :surrender:
Either that or a particularly mischievous farm cat :Cursing:

Following this "great lunch (with losses)" moment can anybody help with the following please?
1. Check pawl - preferably LHW to avoid going back to the haunted workshop!
2. Original bakelite spool cap
3. Spool release lever spring

I know I can source these parts or their modern replicas from Garry Mills but he's too busy to answer the phone again and I'd really like an original spool cap if possible.
Any help appreciated :Hat:

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: Rapidex parts required!

Post by Harry H »

Liphook wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:09 pm Following Nobby''s excellent tutorial on converting Youngs reels to check correctly when used LHW, I managed to alter my Truedex to work beautifully - thanks Nobby :Hat:
Late morning I returned to my friends farm workshop to grind a Rapidex pawl and give the reel a general fettle. After initial disassembly and degrease, I was kindly distracted by the offer of lunch with the farmer and his wife - no sane man refuses home made lamb hotpot with pickled beetroot and red cabbage! Two portions and a pot of tea later I returned to the bench grinder to find things had moved! I found the spool cap parts on the floor but the bakelite was cracked and the centre screw and lever spring was missing. Checking over the bench I couldn't find the pawl anywhere either! Vanished! A quick radio message from farmer John came back with denials from his farm workers. Nobody had been in the workshop apparently, therefore it must have been Mr Nobody :surrender:
Either that or a particularly mischievous farm cat :Cursing:

Following this "great lunch (with losses)" moment can anybody help with the following please?
1. Check pawl - preferably LHW to avoid going back to the haunted workshop!
2. Original bakelite spool cap
3. Spool release lever spring

I know I can source these parts or their modern replicas from Garry Mills but he's too busy to answer the phone again and I'd really like an original spool cap if possible.
Any help appreciated :Hat:
Have a look on that website for some of the old Young's trout reels some of those have them and you'll probably find the pawls are the same as well.
I got one for mine from a 3" trout reel. :Thumb:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Don't pillage old Youngs fly reels for spares use them!They are my reels of choice for much of my split cane fly fishing. They can be bought very cheaply.
Mark Davies

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Well I'm pleased to report that you are both right Harry H and Penninelad - I had a damaged Beaudex languishing fairly unloved in a 'projects box', so I thought I'd try a swapping the pawls around. The results couldn't be better as now both reels work as I wanted! The Beaudex is still short of a reel foot but benefits from a much less harsh check, and of course I still need to source a Rapidex spool cap and screws (I'd borrowed parts from another reel to do the testing) So thank you both :Hat:

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”