A couple of questions about Exaltas

A forum to show any of your restored or built traditional fishing reels.
Wagtail
Arctic Char

A couple of questions about Exaltas

Post by Wagtail »

Gents, I bought an Exalta at the weekend that (to say the least) needed some cleaning-up and tweaking :Wink: I do have a couple of questions, now that most of the work has been done....

The clutch washers were coated in a mixture of oil, grease and grime. They are now clean and refitted, but before I use the reel should there be any lubrication between any of the washers, and if so what type and where?

Also, the rotor housing looks to be plain metal but there are some small grey areas. I can't tell if these are patches of dulled metal, or an original finish that has almost all worn off. Searching pictures online has not been conclusive enough for me to be certain.

Your knowledge on both matters would be appreciated :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Cane
Grayling

Re: A couple of questions about Exaltas

Post by Cane »

Wagtail, I don’t own one of these or claim to be able to help much, but I do wonder if the dull grey metal you mention could be an alloy starting to erode? I inherited a sea reel that wasn’t working and on opening it, found the alloy has delaminated in parts and broken off in others.
If your has only surface changes then I’d think that a run down and greasing would preserve it for longer, with the air excluded. Cane
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

They need regular oiling of moving parts.....sewing machine oil is good enough.

Watch out for the bail arm spring as this tends to be weak and may need attention....keep this well lubricated to avoid snapping the spring.

Washers are best lubricated lightly in my opinion as they work better. No doubt there will be an alternative view that says dry etc.
I can only tell you what I have found out from experience.

Care needed should you decide to look inside the reel. Take apart over a tray or some such to catch any wayward bits as looking for tiny bits of metal on the floor is not dignified and makes one prone to angry outbursts regarding the parentage of the Hardy Bros. who would make such fiddly reels!

Watch out for the tiny springs in the reel.....ping and they are never to be seen again.....more angry outbursts (see Above).

If you are not confident fettling a reel, don't. Sometimes it is best to oil the reel and keep doing so, but leave it at that :Thumb:

If anything else comes to mind I will try to help if I can. :Hat:

as ever,.......

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Wagtail
Arctic Char

Post by Wagtail »

Cane and Moley thank you for your kind advice :Hat:

I assume such advice applies equally to an Altex... which is what I actually bought :doh: :oops:

Lesson learned, never ask a question in public whilst sitting next to a nearly empty bottle of wine :eyebrow: :Wink: :Hahaha:

Although it was a bit stiff when turned I bottled out of opening the reel and did just as Moley advised, ran some light oil into the ports which has freed it up nicely :Thumb: I'm also going to lightly oil the clutch washers, as having fished with the reel it feels slightly snatchy, and the rotor housing will get a light rub and oiling too :Hat:
'The Chub is a very controversial fish. He has a strong army of supporters, but he has an almost equally strong army of detractors. The trouble is that the detractors do not know what they are talking about'. L. Vernon-Bates

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

I know what you mean about the nearly empty bottle of wine :Hahaha: being there and done that!
Glad to hear that you’re making good use of the reel. I hope it brings you many years of pleasure.
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Return to “Traditional Reel Building and Restoring”