An unexpected Martin James !

The Martin James Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

An unexpected Martin James !

Post by AshbyCut »

As reported in another thread ( viewtopic.php?f=193&t=6469&start=20 ) this dropped into my ever-willing lap today.

A 10ft 6in Martin James project of 3 sections, the tip being split cane, and the two others spliced whole cane. It's perfectly straight, the cork is sound, the ferrules are tight and 'plop' satistyingly, and it even still has it's ferrule stoppers. It'll be a strip and rebuild, most likely using the fine deep green silk I got recently from Gudgeon Jim.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: An unexpected Martin James !

Post by Nobby »

You're doing well lately..that'll be a lovely roach rod and pretty light to hold for trotting too.

Chevin
Brown Trout

Post by Chevin »

I have one of those AC, and nobby is correct they are very light, I have landed Chub to 3lb on mine so they also have a bit of power to handle that unexpected fish. :Thumb:
"A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance"

H.T. Sheringham

PershoreHarrier
Rainbow Trout

Post by PershoreHarrier »

A nice looking piece of kit AshbyCut - the stoppers are pretty much identical to the ones in my Aspindale rod.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Nobby wrote:You're doing well lately
That I have, Sir ... all thanks to this remarkable forum. :Hat:
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Despite the jibes in another thread about the number of rods I have in my little collection ... :oops:

Update ... The rod has been stripped and cleaned since Monday, and is now ready for the rebuild to commence.

Thanks to Chapman's service (again !!!) the new full open bridge guides ordered at 2pm yesterday arrived in this lunchtime's post, and have been taped into place ready for the rebuild.

The tip guide was the only one I could salvage, being a nice original transparent agate one. A fossick in my 'bits box' when I got home brought up a butt guide that I thought would match and, now that it's taped in place I think they look good together.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

A good start. Has the making of a very nice rod
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

GazTheAngler

Post by GazTheAngler »

Looks nice AC.

Gaz

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Update ... in case you thought I'd been idle ...

The rod is now complete, and from the feel of it in the hand I can't wait to try it out ... probably with something like a Mitchell 314, Intrepid Standard, or Grey's Bewick with light line and a quill.

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

That looks like another lovely rod
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”