Martin James Boxed Set

The Martin James Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Martin James Boxed Set

Post by AshbyCut »

Ok ... so most of you probably saw this and thought "oh well ... some nutter will buy it."

Gentlemen ... I am that nutter !!!

I simply couldn't resist (at the price) this Martin James set, complete and in it's original box with the contents still attached to the backing card !!! There's a rod (looks VERY much the same as the first one I bought in 1961) which I'm guessing is a glass 7 footer (I have a Rodrill one with red alloy reel rings at the back of my man-cave), an unused Intrepid Monarch Mk1 reel, 2 Martin James spoons, and a 50 yard spool of 4.9lb Martin James Platil line on it's original spool. It even has the original contents description sheet.

At a few pence over £20 inc p&p, this is my birthday present to myself this year ... and I'm a very happy chappy.

"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Julian
Salmon

Re: Martin James Boxed Set

Post by Julian »

But will you use it AC ?
There is no peace on earth like the peace of fishing in the early mornings

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Julian wrote:But will you use it AC ?
As this really is the sort of tackle I was using when I first started out (though my first reel was a Monarch MkII), I suspect that this is one occasion where I shall preserve the set in it's box as a reverence to my youth. :oops:

However ... I have every intention of using the Rodrill with one of the Intrepid Mk I's I already have ... so I shall be using it 'in spirit.' :Wink:

(ps ... I'm actually toying with my Rodrill as I type ... and no ... that's not a euphemism !!!)
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

CraigM
Grayling

Post by CraigM »

Nice one, AshbyCut

1961 - the year of my birth.

Unlike your purchase, I'm showing signs of use :Chuckle: .

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

CraigM wrote:Unlike your purchase, I'm showing signs of use
That make two of us, Sir !!! ... at the very least !!!

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The outfit arrived this morning ... and it's lovely !!!

There is a little 'water staining' on the outside of the box, and there looks to have been a label on the lid which is now sadly missing, but inside everything is mint, including the Intrepid parts list for the Monarch MkI and the backing sheet which bears the legend "All you need for a days sport by the water."

Hand written on the end of the lid is "69/6."

As the Intrepid Monarch Mk II was out by 1963 I'm thinking this was maybe around that date ... or maybe a little later as intrepid tried to move on stocks on Mk I's, but that's pure conjecture.

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

Looks very nice AC. Is the outfit designed for perch spinning? I always get nervous about hooking into a big pike on lighter perch spinning gear.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

When I was about 14 I did once land a smallish (around 4 lb) pike from a brook that runs into the River Mease with almost identical tackle, but I wouldn't recommend it !!!

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”