Martin James Match Rod

The Martin James Rods forum.
Rotrax
Rudd

Martin James Match Rod

Post by Rotrax »

Some years ago I took an old motorcycling friend fishing. He had never caught a pike and this was on his bucket list.

We achieved it during our first session on the Thames, in Benson Weirpool. About 12 lbs, he was well pleased!

A few weeks later he turned up with a rod and reel, the kit he had as a boy in the early 1950's. He gifted them to me.

A Youngs Rapidex, working order, gentily shabby but solid and a 15 foot Martin James Spanish Reed/spliced in split cane tip match rod in its original bag.

Edward Barder supplied me with new rings and whipping silk. I shall make a start soon.

Not very suitable for big stuff I imagine, Reed had a suspect reputation when I was a boy.

In its favour is it is very straight, no defects easily visible bar dull brass fittings and a perished rubber button.

Any idea on post renovation value? It is not a rod I am likely to use so if it is of interest perhaps it should be offered to a collector.

Not the Rapidex though - I like that!

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Martin James Match Rod

Post by Santiago »

Possibly in the £50 to £100 bracket I would imagine, depending on the quality of the refurb. I'm not being over generous in my estimation so expect more!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”