Martin James float rod 12 ft query

The Martin James Rods forum.
Reedling
Catfish

Martin James float rod 12 ft query

Post by Reedling »

Seeing a few posts about Martin James rods recently got me thinking about a rod I have, it is one of the first cane coarse rods I used and kind of got me hooked. The rod is 12 ft in length with bottom two sections in whole cane and a spliced in built cane tip section. I have often wondered if the spiral whip on the butt section was a strengthening repair but looking at other rods from the same stable quite a few have this. Two questions, firstly, am I right in assuming the spiral whip is a feature of the rod? (I can see no damage or split whatsoever). Secondly the gold and green label has Martin James Redditch printed but no model name as others have, any ideas on a model name?. Thanks for looking. :Hat:

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Re: Martin James float rod 12 ft query

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Reedling wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:01 pm Seeing a few posts about Martin James rods recently got me thinking about a rod I have, it is one of the first cane coarse rods I used and kind of got me hooked. The rod is 12 ft in length with bottom two sections in whole cane and a spliced in built cane tip section. I have often wondered if the spiral whip on the butt section was a strengthening repair but looking at other rods from the same stable quite a few have this. Two questions, firstly, am I right in assuming the spiral whip is a feature of the rod? (I can see no damage or split whatsoever). Secondly the gold and green label has Martin James Redditch printed but no model name as others have, any ideas on a model name?. Thanks for looking. :Hat:

Could it be a "Prizewinner"?
See following link:
viewtopic.php?f=400&t=24490&p=380937&hi ... ue#p380937
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Thanks for the link to that interesting catalogue JC, yes that looks very close to it although this might be a later version than that shown. I do wonder why there is no name on the label as others have.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Looking at posts on light float rods I thought I would just give it a weigh out of interest, it is 342g.

Splitcaner
Ruffe

Post by Splitcaner »

Looking at the picture I have the very same rod, I was going to write to ask if Martin James made a hollow bamboo rod. I have been sorting some stuff out for the angling fair on the 2nd april. I will be taking that and lots of other rods to the fair. Looking forward to seeing lots of forum members. John.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

The spiral whips seem to be a feature on Martin James rods. I have an aleven footer in all built cane and this has the decorative spiral whip just above the handle.

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”