Rod ID?

The Martin James Rods forum.
Dipper
Rudd

Rod ID?

Post by Dipper »

I’ve just acquired this Martin James and wondered if anyone could confirm which model it is? Having looked through through these pages and the excellent catalogue pictures from pondlife it’s looks similar to the “Wixford”, but for the colour and the fact this has a lower shaped grip on the handle like a double hander, an early switch rod??? It’s 11ft long and obviously has the later label so an evolution of the Wixford or a multi purpose?? Seems odd to have high bells on a fly rod?...

Pictures:

Many thanks in advance for any light shed :Hat:

Regards,

Dipper
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Rod ID?

Post by Olly »

It is a 50-60's float rod - spliced tip. It looks like it has a Wal-extension added to the length of the handle!

"Switch" is using a fly line for salmon fishing - and I believe a recent innovation. I dont think the build of this rod would work - all split cane - perhaps. But Carbon definitely would!

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Thanks olly, it’s a lovely little rod, hope to christen it later on!

I have a couple of switch rods(carbon) for use mainly in the sea, versatile tools :Wink:

Regards,

Dipper
”If you don’t come home either wet or injured, you’re not trying hard enough...”

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I am yet to transfer to "switch" for my salmon/sea trout fishing still using normal double handed fly rods. A bit expensive to change especially with so few salmon about and all inedible!

So a bit of bonefish fishing then?

Dipper
Rudd

Post by Dipper »

Olly wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:21 pm I am yet to transfer to "switch" for my salmon/sea trout fishing still using normal double handed fly rods. A bit expensive to change especially with so few salmon about and all inedible!

So a bit of bonefish fishing then?
Nothing so exotic, just uk Bass

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”