Martin James Rod

The Martin James Rods forum.
JohnRichards
Stickleback

Martin James Rod

Post by JohnRichards »

Hi Guys,

I have just acquired a rod rather cheaply on the Bay of Fleas. It is in a very sorry condition and needs a complete refurb. The two but section are around 5 feet each. The top section is four foot of which the split cane section is thirty three inches. I was a little concerned that the top section has lost a bit of length although it looks suitably narrow at the top and can't recall ever seeing a fifteen foot Martin James.

I was somewhat shocked by the weight. I last had a Spanish reed rod when I was eighteen and am not as strong at seventy two so I certainly won't be trotting with it.

I was kindly advised by someone on here to get rings from I think Hopkins and Holloway. What rings should I get? I had originally planned to put modern ceramic rings on it so I would never have to replace them. I have visions of rewhipping rods quite often in my teens as the rings always seems to develop grooves. Are there any traditional looking rings made from material that will not groove?

Finally any advice on whipping silk and modern lines would be much appreciated.

Time Lines

John

Harry H
Tench

Re: Martin James Rod

Post by Harry H »

Probably best to use high bells for the rings, you can still get those from guides and blanks.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Return to “Martin James Cane Rods”