Isn't the internet wonderful (mostly, sometimes !!!)

This forum belongs to Harvey D. Torbett.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Isn't the internet wonderful (mostly, sometimes !!!)

Post by AshbyCut »

It's been 23 years now since Harvey Torbett passed away ... and his 6 children placed a commemorative seat on the banks of Weirwood Reservoir ... one of his favourite places to angle ... and scattered some of his ashes on the ground surrounding it

Earlier today I was passed an email sent to the TFF ... which is sending ripples far and wide as I type.

Someone spotted a couple of pictures on a Facebook page ...

... and sent this message ...

"Dear Sir

This may seem a most bizarre email but one which I hope will have a happy ending. I will try to explain as directly as I can!

I am not a fisherman but by reading a random post on a Facebook page from a group of which I belong, I am trying to trace friends or family members who may be interested in a beautiful find in relation to Harvey Torbett. One of the members, whilst out walking, came across a wooden bench on the banks of Weirwood Reservoir. It has an inscription with the name Harvey Torbett. It is in need of restoration and members of the group have discussed the sentimental value to family and friends.

I was searching the Internet and managed to find a discussion on your forum which mentioned that some books belonging to Mr Torbett had been sent to one of your members from his children. Without knowing personal details and not wishing to cause upset, I wondered if anyone on your site may be able to shed some light on the link between Mr Torbett and the reservoir or would indeed be interested in its existence?

As I said, I hope this has a happy ending and would appreciate and help you may be able to give.

Kind regards"

The inscription reads "In memory of Harvey Torbett who loved this place. Find peace here as he did, and maybe catch a fish for him."

I'm happy to say I have been in communication with Harvey's daughter, Cindy, who has allowed me to give her email address to the sender.

I have already offered to assist in it's restoration.

I will keep you posted on events.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Isn't the internet wonderful (mostly, sometimes !!!)

Post by Nigel Rainton »

I caught my first trout on a fly at Weirwood in in 1972, please keep us updated :-)

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Nice one Mal, glad you made contact. :Hat:
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Lovely story. Well done Mal.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Harry H
Tench

Post by Harry H »

You're a true gent AC :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

That's brilliant, well done Mal.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Marc
Sea Trout

Post by Marc »

Great work, internet. It’s faired reasonably well for two decades in the elements. It will be nice to see it restored.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I had a look on the internet and there is a Weirwood Carp syndicate perhaps they may be doing something about the bench?

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Nice one Mal, that email must have made you glow. If there's a need of funds toward the bench restoration I reckon we'd raise a bob or two on here. I'll certainly chip in just for the pleasure of discovering the joy of his rod.

Good work mate :Hat:

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

There are many benches near me that fall into disrepair and it looks so sad when you read the plaque and you wonder why relatives or council have not maintained them as they were put there with good intentions originally. As DB says above if a restoration fund is started I am sure many will offer assistance.

Return to “Harvey D. Torbett”