Trent rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
PondLife
Perch

Re: Trent rod

Post by PondLife »

Hi Reedling, here's a link you might find of interest.
http://www.purepiscator.com/articles/ar ... ntman.aspx

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

What an interesting read PondLife and I reckon I can virtualy hang my hat on Watsons being the maker now, there cannot be many that made a rod this way... I have never come across a two section like this. What would really put the icing on the cake would be to find out who Bert Coley was or see another rod made by the company with a dedication on it. maybe I am wishing for too much :Beg: Thank you so much for hunting out the info PondLife. All the best, Reedling. :Hat:

PondLife
Perch

Post by PondLife »

Hi Reedling, glad you enjoyed the link. I to, am almost certain it's a Tom Watson rod. As you said two section long float rods of this kind of design are rare. The only other one i can think of off hand is the Milwards 2 piece 11ft featherlite. Anyway hope the rod brings you lots of pleasure. Kind regards, pondlife.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I have finally got around to refurbishing my rod. The rings were well passed their sell by date, and it was only the rust that was holding them together, so I have replaced the lot. I retained the clear lined butt and tip rings of course and I decided to leave the intermediate whips etc in place as they were not too bad at all. The rod now has all the rings in place and I have given them coat of cellulose shrinking dope. The next step is to give the whips a couple of coats before coating the whole rod. Here is a picture of it so far...

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

It now resembles my Aspindale "Avon" restored by Paul Cook.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

I am sure my rod is nowhere near as perfect as your restored rod by Paul Cook Olly, but I have given it a couple of coats and an outing to see how it performs. I was well impressed by the power in this rod which I at first thought would be a rod for lighter river fishing. My first and christening fish on this rod was a Bream of around a pound which obviously rolled on it's side and submitted with little bother. Fishing bread on the bottom I struck at the next rise of my float and all went solid, this match lake holds some hefty Carp and this felt like one of them. Using an unknown quantity for the first time you never know what is going to happen.. just how good is this rod, is there a fault I never noticed? I had given it a bend tied up to my bench but the lunges of a fish are a better test for sure. After a nice little scrap and a bit of sweat my second fish of the day was around the 8-10LB mark and I felt the rod still had a reserve to play with. I christened my latest project with around 30 fish, Carp, Tench and Bream up to 10lb in weight and coupled with my new speedia I was well chuffed. I would just like to say Thanks to 'Traditional Angling products' whom I purchased the Speedia from, it performed impeccably fine. her is a picture of my rod in use....

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

Well done Reedling. The rod does look lovely in the action shot!
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Reedling
Catfish

Post by Reedling »

Had a bash at my local lakes today and thought I would give my Watson? Trent rod an outing coupled to my old Speedia. I had many fish mostly Carp and bream and they certainly gave my little ole rod that I restored some punishment I can tell you. The rod came through with flying colours and was a pleasure to use although if the fish were any bigger I would have my worries. Here are a couple of pictures I took on the quick.....

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

Well done Reedling.
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

The Sweetcorn Kid
Wild Carp

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid »

Lovely...
SK
The Compleat Tangler

“Imagination is the real magic that exists in this world. Look inwards to see outwards. And capture it in writing.”

Nigel 'Fennel' Hudson

Click here for my Youtube Channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeoyLH ... 5H4u8sTDgA

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”