Old Sportex hollowglas rods...

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Taprobanes

Re: Old Sportex hollowglas rods...

Post by Taprobanes »

Hi BB Yes see axel's early post:
"Sorry, but youre completely on the wrong track there...
Its just the letters of my Name (Axel Reingruber) put in a different order"

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

I'm just resurfacing this old thread in case anyone is interested in Sportex rods. Quite a few years ago now I bought one of the very early Sportex blanks, honey-coloured with flared ferrules. I'm only now finishing it off.

The point of the post is that I have managed to recreate a 1960's Sportex transfer to use as a waterslide. It isn't exactly as they put on their rods but the style is the same.

If anyone wants a high definition copy send me your email address on a PM.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

Aquaerial
Chub

Post by Aquaerial »

Dream rods of the sixties I eventually managed to by 2 or3.I have them somewhere., Later I bought a couple of German built Sportex spinning rods in boron. Fabulous rods they are.... was there a sale of the business? I think the original home was Sheffield.
Aquaerial
But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Aquaerial wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:35 am Dream rods of the sixties I eventually managed to by 2 or3.I have them somewhere., Later I bought a couple of German built Sportex spinning rods in boron. Fabulous rods they are.... was there a sale of the business? I think the original home was Sheffield.
I first came across them in about 1980 when I bought two part built glass Sportex rods from Romford Angling Centre. The 13' float rod (or was it 12'?) had a spliced tip - like a canal rod - and it was superb. If anyone has one that might be the same blank I would really like it please! The other rod was a 9' leger rod with two tips, one quivertip and one for swingtip (I still have that and still use it!); a lovely forgiving rod.

Later, on my 21st birthday, I had a three piece (i.e. detachable handle) 11' light Avon rod made out of the black stuff and built by Tony Fordham I think. I got my first two pound roach on that at Throop.

Looking online it seems that there may have been a couple of Sheffield addresses and I am tempted by a 1963 catalogue for sale (but it's a tenner). As well as the rods (obviously imported from Germany) it seems that this Sportex business offered a very wide range of perhaps mail order tackle, quite ahead of its time maybe, unless it was also retail premises?

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Tengisgol wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:25 pm
Aquaerial wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:35 am Dream rods of the sixties I eventually managed to by 2 or3.I have them somewhere., Later I bought a couple of German built Sportex spinning rods in boron. Fabulous rods they are.... was there a sale of the business? I think the original home was Sheffield.
I first came across them in about 1980 when I bought two part built glass Sportex rods from Romford Angling Centre. The 13' float rod (or was it 12'?) had a spliced tip - like a canal rod - and it was superb. If anyone has one that might be the same blank I would really like it please! The other rod was a 9' leger rod with two tips, one quivertip and one for swingtip (I still have that and still use it!); a lovely forgiving rod.

Later, on my 21st birthday, I had a three piece (i.e. detachable handle) 11' light Avon rod made out of the black stuff and built by Tony Fordham I think. I got my first two pound roach on that at Throop.

Looking online it seems that there may have been a couple of Sheffield addresses and I am tempted by a 1963 catalogue for sale (but it's a tenner). As well as the rods (obviously imported from Germany) it seems that this Sportex business offered a very wide range of perhaps mail order tackle, quite ahead of its time maybe, unless it was also retail premises?
How do you rate early Sportex glass rods Phil?

All of my early glass is Edgar Sealey, which springs from fond childhood angling memories. The early honey coloured glass is both steely and forgiving, whether a Black Arrow, Featherweight or spliced tip match rod. The brownish glass Black Arrow Deluxes are possibly even better.

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Despite the fact that it has the flared arches it is clearly a very good rod. Quite snappy considering but light. I suspect these were as good as anything on the market at the time, if not better. If I got transported back in time though I’d still be using Aspindales or a Craftversa!

I have three other later Sportex blanks (seventies?) in 12, 13 and 14’. They have spigot ferrules. These are rods for bigger fish I’d say. All round float rods. No problem with a big tench, chub or even a carp. Nice rods. Very similar I’d say to the Fibatubes.

However, that spliced tip rod was a cut above all of them, early eighties.

I’ve got many of the classic eighties glass rods. I think my favourites are the Shakespeare Alpha and Sigma Canal to use. The Match International is an interesting in between with its spliced tip. I think the Hardy Matchmakers and B&W were a bit overrated. I love my as new MK6 but only because of the memories of my first one as a lad (the handle was too long).

I’d swap any of them for that spliced tip Sportex blank.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Interesting stuff, thanks Phil. One of my early experiences of sea angling was seeing a brand new Shakespeare beachcaster snap below its max casting weight. It sort of left me with a lifelong bias against anything with a Shakespeare label on it! Completely irrational I know, but to this day I own nothing with a Shakespeare label on it!

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”