J B Walker, Newcastle

The J. B. Walker Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

J B Walker, Newcastle

Post by AshbyCut »

I recently picked up these two rods which will be long term projects as they both require much TLC, but with my Geordie heritage I could not bear to let them languish.

The first is what could be a lovely little 7ft rod, named "J B Walker 5lb Spinner." Sadly the tip section is in two bits, but it will be restored in time when I can afford to source a new one or even have one made. On my 'bucket list' is now the ambition to catch a perch on my local canal with this rod, a small spoon, and one of my Intrepids.

The second is a 9ft 6in fly rod named "Walker's 'Perfection' Newcastle,' with one guide missing and a couple bent, so will have all guides replaced in time ... and yes, it does seem that the odd section length are original.

Any details on this makers would be gratefully received.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Re: J B Walker, Newcastle

Post by Deaf Cat »

AC

If you google JB Walker of Newcastle upon Tyne you get lots of hits - lots of different rods - so no worries about the attibution.

Page through the hits and you will find a link to Waterlogged on TPBTW which has Gloucester Old Spot's suggestion that this is the same JB Walker that moved to Hythe in the '40s.

http://www.thepathbythewater.net/wb/139.htm

:hat:
Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!
(H.M. Bateman / R.D. Peck)

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Thanks DC ... I had seen many of the links to rods and reels but none seem to have any 'history' about the company. Somehow I missed the 'path by the water' one, so that's the first reference I've seen to a move south. I hadn't associated the name with that mentioned in the thread started by Mark, our beloved leader :-

http://www.traditionalfisherman.co.uk/v ... f=7&t=3853

Walker is/was a common name in the Newcastle area ... there's even an area of Newcastle itself called "Walker," from the Norse "Wall-kjerr" or "marshy woodland by the wall."

I'd just like to find an address for the firm in Newcastle, or a shop address, and see if the building still exists.
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

AC

I can tell you it was Newgate Street but no number.
http://www.richardsonsauctions.co.uk/Ca ... page7.html

Duffer - The man without skill of hand, without good eyesight and no longer young - the man who really ought to fish!

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

DC ... thank you for that. Knowing the development around there is unlikely anything exists, but it will help me in research.

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

I have found a couple of auction references to J.B. Walker just around the corner from Newgate at 53 Clayton St. These look to be possibly earlier rods than the Newgate ones.

http://antique-prices-appraisal.values4 ... ith--96fea
http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/a ... 60kjnohm0g

Davyr

Post by Davyr »

I've been having a trawl through the British Phone Books via the Ancestry subscription site, which has shed some light on locations for JB Walker ("Fishing Reqs"):

1947-1961: 63 Newgate St, Newcastle-on-Tyne, PLUS another shop at Meal Market, Hexham
1962-1964: Not listed
1965-1970: 26 Northumberland Street, Newcastle-on-Tyne, PLUS the Hexham shop.
1971: Hexham shop only

I can't find them thereafter, nor any evidence that they decamped to Kent at that or any other time.

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

Great stuff, chaps !!!

Coquetangler
Stickleback

Post by Coquetangler »

JB Walker worked at Merton in Newcastle, he then left them to set up his own tackle shop at 63, Newgate street.
The shop was up a long flite o stairs, the shop is now a trendy club, and the door way to the stairs is bricked up.
I bought my first fly rod from Walkers, from John Robertson who was JB nephew, another nice guy who worked at the shop was Alf Walker, no relation to JB.
John Robertson left Walkers to set up his own business in the Haymarket and took along Alf to assist in running the shop.
I was due to leave school so I applied for a job with John and Alf in the new tackle business and was lucky enough to get a start
Many tails were told about JB and his powers as a fisher, tails will be told , but one of the most interesting as follows,
Years went by and I kept in touch with Alf who left Robertson’s to work for ABU, in Sweden, Alf ended up in Toronto, but we kept in touch and a couple of years ago Alf sent me a parcel of tackle as he had given up fishing due to his getting on a bit, he told me he got an interesting few items from JB Walkers wife years ago, J Bs wife was a nice of James Wright, of Sprouston, you may recall he was the chap who tied the Greenwells Glory for Cannon Greenwell, the interesting item were a pair of hackle pliers that belonged to James Wright.
So I am now quite proud to own such an item of fishing history .
Many tails to follow
Tight lines( we hope) Harry Mcveigh

Deaf Cat
Grayling

Post by Deaf Cat »

Welcome Harry.
Looking forward to your tales.

Return to “J. B. Walker Cane Rods”