J B Walker, Newcastle

The J. B. Walker Rods forum.
StefanDuma
Grayling

Re: J B Walker, Newcastle

Post by StefanDuma »

Very interesting especially regarding the Merton connection having seen many adverts and images for their shop.

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Another JB Walker rod surfaces .

I was contacted recently by a fellow who wanted a couple of rods rebuilding, one is a Mk 1V B.James Richard Walker Avon, just requires a ferrule resetting, the second is a rod he has had for a while stood in a corner.

Today he visited , brought the two rods and asked me to do a full rebuild on the “stood in the corner “ rod. On first glance it does look like a sort of Mk 1V ,It is 10ft 1inch long in equal sections, banded ferrule. It is very dark cane and has been over varnished a bit enthusiastically by somebody in the past, the handle needs a rebuild as it has has some leather glued on over the cork, who knows what is underneath there , the rings are full agate throughout, and very cruddy, I can see no logo anywhere on the fully whipped with inters blank, but the brass reel bands sort of give it away as one is engraved

JB Walker, Newcastle upon Tyne.

I have looked at some images of JB Walker rods but have not seen any with brass reel bands, so it could be quite an early example , possibly a Salmon Rod ?

If anybody has any ideas as to this rod I would be very interested .

David .
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

Looks like a salmon spinning rod.

The JB Walker that made MKIV carp rods operated out of Hythe I believe, not Newcastle. But I'm probably wrong on this!
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

Santiago wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:08 am Looks like a salmon spinning rod.

The JB Walker that made MKIV carp rods operated out of Hythe I believe, not Newcastle. But I'm probably wrong on this!
No you are perfectly correct.
Dok

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Most of the later J B Walker of Newcastle coarse and spinning rods are actually Edgar Sealey built. They changed the names of course but the finish and fittings are all Sealey.
Sealey also supplied their range to Alex Martin of Scotland. Their octofloat being named the Martofloat. No sealey labels though. The reel rings and barrel shaped butt cap being the obvious givaway.
Wal.

Return to “J. B. Walker Cane Rods”