Tom Watson "The Allrounder "

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Olly
Wild Carp

Re: Tom Watson "The Allrounder "

Post by Olly »

I have a Swiftdale amongst other Aspindale rods. A pleasant rod - but not for big fish. I use mine for small river trotting.

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Olly wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:38 pm I have a Swiftdale amongst other Aspindale rods. A pleasant rod - but not for big fish. I use mine for small river trotting.
Thanks , this Allrounder is probably not a Swiftdale copy then . This rod feels quite capable of handling bigger fish ,

I think perhaps it lives up to its name and I would quite happily trot for grayling but would also feel comfortable using it for large tench .

Dokterhoo
Dace

Post by Dokterhoo »

Hi,
This might help - Tom Watson Catalogue 1956-57.
All the coarse rods including the "Allrounder" on page 8, which is absent from the 1960-61 edtion and later.
Also includes two interesting rods I had not noticed before - "The Allcocks Wallis Wizard" and "The Aero Wizard".

Dok

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

Thanks Keston :Hat: I'd certainly see how you get on with it 1st. There's a good reason that Fujis/Seymos were fitted - they are an improvement on chromed wire after all even if not considered "traditional"! I have cane and glass rods with lined guides because there are occasions I like to use braided PE lines that would quickly wear through chrome. Each to their own I say :Sun:

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Dokterhoo wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:36 pm Hi,
This might help - Tom Watson Catalogue 1956-57.
All the coarse rods including the "Allrounder" on page 8, which is absent from the 1960-61 edtion and later.
Also includes two interesting rods I had not noticed before - "The Allcocks Wallis Wizard" and "The Aero Wizard".

Dok

Thanks brilliant , thank you so much for this information . I feel validated in think the quality was there and it seems in its suitability as a tench rod . Wonderful to be able to date it so closely too . The listing is very detailed so if /when it does get restored it will be easier to get closer to original .
The previous owner was quite interested in the history so it will be nice to show them the catalogue entry and date , I'm sure they will be fascinated . Thanks again :Hat:

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Liphook wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:22 pm Thanks Keston :Hat: I'd certainly see how you get on with it 1st. There's a good reason that Fujis/Seymos were fitted - they are an improvement on chromed wire after all even if not considered "traditional"! I have cane and glass rods with lined guides because there are occasions I like to use braided PE lines that would quickly wear through chrome. Each to their own I say :Sun:
I think with the reel seat too , I wont be worried about reels falling in the lake :Chuckle:

Perhaps now having the catalogue entry and details of how the rod would have been originally may sway more to the restoration . It doesnt seem a common rod.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Very interesting that catalogue! Not all of the rods made by Watson - just rods he sells including Aspindales, Allcocks, Apollo, Sharpe's, Cappella, Hardy, Milbro, etc.
I have a 2 section Aspindale Avon at 11ft - almost identical to the 2 section Hornet which I also seem to have!
Also I have an Aspindale Aero Wizard - !

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

There is an opportunity for me to now have this rod refurbished back to its original condition , I'm not usually so indesisive on these matters , but a part of me still wants to leave this rod with the functional updates made by the previous long term owner . They are after all part of teh rods history .
However as its a rare rod there is a very strong case for putting reel bands back on and the original style of ringing ,

I am guessing the majority of you would not hesitate and would have the rod restored ?

Gilbert
Rudd

Post by Gilbert »

Keston wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:59 pm There is an opportunity for me to now have this rod refurbished back to its original condition , I'm not usually so indesisive on these matters , but a part of me still wants to leave this rod with the functional updates made by the previous long term owner . They are after all part of teh rods history .
However as its a rare rod there is a very strong case for putting reel bands back on and the original style of ringing ,

I am guessing the majority of you would not hesitate and would have the rod restored ?
i always try to put them back as they were when made ...............unless the original is so lacking in merit there is nothing to recommend it ..like the Allcocks Golden Guinea i did recently which was just boring . i brightened it up a bit

Keston
Tench

Post by Keston »

Gilbert wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:30 pm
Keston wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:59 pm There is an opportunity for me to now have this rod refurbished back to its original condition , I'm not usually so indesisive on these matters , but a part of me still wants to leave this rod with the functional updates made by the previous long term owner . They are after all part of teh rods history .

i always try to put them back as they were when made ...............unless the original is so lacking in merit there is nothing to recommend it ..like the Allcocks Golden Guinea i did recently which was just boring . i brightened it up a bit
Thanks for the reply Gilbert , I did decide to return it to original . Sadly the rod builder I was using has just ruined the first two rods I gave him to rebuild , so I didnt want this one going the same way and brought it back with me .
John

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”