Albert Smith & Co., Redditch.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
AshbyCut
Honorary President

Albert Smith & Co., Redditch.

Post by AshbyCut »

I trust you will forgive my late night ramblings ... but during lockdown evenings my 'tinternet' wanderings brought me to the name 'Albert Smith of Redditch.'

With my intentions to 'tiddler snatch' on the Ashby Cut in the coming new season, I couldn't help but notice ... on different sites ... from different vendors ... a couple of rods which captured my attention ... one already with me ... one winging it's way to me.

My thanks to the vendors for the use of their photographs.

The first that caught my eye, late last year, was a 13ft. 6in. "The Majestic." The vendor was good enough to provide a catalogue listing of the rod (I am assuming 1930's) ... and the description is such that it needs no embellishment !

It duly arrived in it's quality press stud closing rod bag ... and at a price that matches what some dealers are now asking for glass rods.

Imagine my surprise when, a few days ago, I saw a listing for a rod from the same maker.

I 'watched' it ... and after a couple of days received an offer to buy it at much less than the starting bid. An 'offer I couldn't refuse' ... to quote THAT film !

On it's way to me is a 10 ft. rod, 3 pieces, whole cane butt and middle ... BUT with two tips ... one I am assuming is intended for roach ... and the other maybe for perch and or chub.

The brass work may have been a tad 'over polished' ... but I think I can make them perfect to match with the 'telephone latch' reels I have recently been buying ... in the perfect environment of 'The Cut.' Watch 'that' space !
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Nigel Rainton
Rainbow Trout

Re: Albert Smith & Co., Redditch.

Post by Nigel Rainton »

13 1/2 feet and 15ozs, I hope your arms are in good order sir! :-)

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

They look like good quality rods with nice dark cane and spigotted ferrules. I've never had the pleasure of seeing one in the flesh.
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I like the descriptions, particularly the wording "in the most approved style" ! Do to you think the second rod is from the same period? Is the butt cap missing it's rubber button or of a different design? Very interesting AC :Sun:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Some rods including Hardy used a screw-in bolt - instead. A spear can then be fitted.
Last edited by Olly on Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

Mal, not sure what the fish stocks are like now on the ‘cut’ but when I used to fish it regularly about 40 years ago mainly in the Shackerstone to Snarestone stretch the Tench went for me up to 5lb and there were lots of good sized fish, your new ‘Albert’ may get a bit more than a tiddler...

AshbyCut
Honorary President

Post by AshbyCut »

The shorter of the 2 rods arrived yesterday, and the vendor had just guessed the length. It turns out to be 9ft 6in with either tip ... and it's a delight !

Thanks to the arrival of the 1937 "Catalogue No. 17" this morning, I'm really happy to say I can now positively identify the rod, listed in the section "Balance Handle Roach and Bream Rods."

I have a lovely "No. 53. The Royal Gem," with full description as follows :-

I checked the weight ... and mine is 10.95oz. (310gr.) with either tip.

It has a lovely little agate tip guide on the bream tip (but on the roach tip the agate is missing from the guide) :-

In answer to Liphook's question ... the illustration seems to indicate that the brass butt cap is supplied with a screw to protect the thread, into which the purchaser can screw either a rubber button ... 1 1/4in and 1 1/12 in priced at 1 shilling ... 1 3/4in and 2in priced at 1shilling and 3 pence ... or a Rod Spear ... 9 pence for a brass one ... and 1 shilling and 3 pence for the more exotic aluminium !!!

I will be applying a rubber button, as I will NOT be requiring my man to spear anything from the bank !!!!!
"Beside the water I discovered (or maybe rediscovered) the quiet. The sort of quiet that allows one to be woven into the tapestry of nature instead of merely standing next to it." Estaban.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”