An unnamed rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Mr B
Arctic Char

An unnamed rod

Post by Mr B »

I have had this rod for years.
By looking at it, it is not a high end rod but a nice rod all the same.
It’s three piece 11 1/2 foot 23 inch handle.
The ferrules are chrome brass?
It has quit a stiff action and is it quit a powerful rod.
I know some of the cheaper split cane rods could be quite stiff.
The number on the bottom reads.A145. This is probably just the size guide... I don’t know..
Be interested in your experience and expertise.

Mr B.

Ps it has the bag with it, no name but perfect fit, in three stitched size sections.. ie, Butt middle and top.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Fredline
Tench

Re: An unnamed rod

Post by Fredline »

It has all the hallmarks of a Black Seal rod, Czechoslovakian. The butt cap set is usually attached with a wood screw.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Fredline wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:26 pm It has all the hallmarks of a Black Seal rod, Czechoslovakian. The butt cap set is usually attached with a wood screw.
Bang on!
I have just taken out the wood screw!
Well that’s done it, thanks!!!!
I like to fish rods named on the river they are named after.
I have a J Peek The Thames.. a Rodcraft The Lee, A Marco Medway and a Marco Aran on the way.
But.... now... it looks like I will have to make a trip for Chub in the Czech Republic!
Supposed to be great fishing!

Mr B.
The close season is an important and interesting time for the Angler who set out to catch big fish. It is a timely opportunity for him to make new tackle or renovate old. There are no end of jobs to do, apart from those horrible things called Gardens!

Rod
Grayling

Post by Rod »

Hi, I have one of these, marked exactly the same, but don't ask me anything about it.
Rod :Hat:
An old man, who's only pleasure left in life, is sitting by some water, fiddling with his maggots?

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

I was given it about 30 years ago my my next door neighbour... I think he got it in a tackle shop in Plumstead?
It’s not a bad rod, and it doesn’t take up to much room being three piece.
Had a few fish on it and a big Themes Eel!
Glad I’m not the only one with one!

Mr B

MaggotDrowner
Zander

Post by MaggotDrowner »

I have two and a half (2 good 'uns and a one with a "soft" tip) of these. Lovely rods for medium sized carp, just under double figures - as most that I catch are. Good length too. No value in the badge, when compared with some makers and they are much underrated in my opinion. I love mine.
"I'd rather be fishing!"

MD

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

I've got one too. It's my lucky rod, as it caught me my first ever burbot. It can definitely take some beating.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Yes, I do have a bit of a soft spot for it...
It’s never gave me any trouble... there he is at Molesly weir...

Mr B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Jon Andrews did a blog post about Black Seal once. Two brothers who started out selling tackle from the back of a van apparently. Based in Carshalton initially and posibly moving to Brixton later on.

I have found this, but it's not the blog I recall:

http://andrewsofarcadiascrapbook.blogsp ... t-ec3.html

Mr B
Arctic Char

Post by Mr B »

Thanks for the feedback...
I do recall reading a bit about Black Seal.
I read it because my mate had a Black Seal rod when I was a kid...
Interesting... I’ll look into finding more about them.
Mr B

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”