Any ideas of the maker?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Penninelad
Arctic Char

Any ideas of the maker?

Post by Penninelad »

Just received this three piece whole cane 13' ferruleless rod from the usual auction site,.It was not much money.Very good quality with bronze rings throughout,part from the butt ring which is nickel silver.No markings on it whatsoever. It came In an unmarked very stout canvas bag.Any ideas as to when it was made and by whom.I'll re whip one or two loose rings and give it a coat of varnish and it will be ready for use.Ideal for the bid wide and Deep South Yorkshire canals.ImageImageImageImage
Mark Davies

Lea Dweller
Pike

Re: Any ideas of the maker?

Post by Lea Dweller »

It may well have had some identifying features removed in the past, but still an interesting rod. We know that Aspindale produced ferruless rods but I am sure that some of our members will have some useful alternative suggestions! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Lea Dweller wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:51 pm It may well have had some identifying features removed in the past, but still an interesting rod. We know that Aspindale produced ferruless rods but I am sure that some of our members will have some useful alternative suggestions! :Hat:
Didn't Aspindale put those cream coloured butt buttons on there rods as well?
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

I spent the best part of 3 years looking for a ferruless rod. The majority I saw in decent condition were by Clayton of Boston, either father or son. In the end, I bought one by J Clayton (link to thread below). The chap who sold it to me was selling another which looked a lot more like yours but wasn’t in as good condition. However, I have a recollection that most of the J Clayton ones I saw had a small alloy band around the top of the female ferrules. Let me know if a close up photograph would help. Yours is a lovely looking rod.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=32582&p=428511&hil ... ss#p428511
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Duckett wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 pm I spent the best part of 3 years looking for a ferruless rod. The majority I saw in decent condition were by Clayton of Boston, either father or son. In the end, I bought one by J Clayton (link to thread below). The chap who sold it to me was selling another which looked a lot more like yours but wasn’t in as good condition. However, I have a recollection that most of the J Clayton ones I saw had a small alloy band around the top of the female ferrules. Let me know if a close up photograph would help. Yours is a lovely looking rod.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=32582&p=428511&hil ... ss#p428511
I knew that J. Clayton sold a number of different rods, some of them ferruless, but I wasn't sure if they made them or bought them in. They are very interesting rods (ferruless) and not many people produced them, so it will be interesting to see what other members can contribute! :Hat:
Confucius

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Harry H wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:52 pm
Lea Dweller wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:51 pm It may well have had some identifying features removed in the past, but still an interesting rod. We know that Aspindale produced ferruless rods but I am sure that some of our members will have some useful alternative suggestions! :Hat:
Didn't Aspindale put those cream coloured butt buttons on there rods as well?
I am not sure about the cream coloured buttons, I think that Wal might have a better idea?
Confucius

Barbelseeker
Brown Trout

Post by Barbelseeker »

Nice Rod Mark, looking forward to a day on the Canal after the roach again, come March if possible.

Moley
Brown Trout

Post by Moley »

The rod in question looks like ones made by A.E Rudge. Just to throw my two pennorth worth into the hat.

As ever,.........

Moley
Say aye tae'a pie!

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Martin James? They used cream coloured buttons?
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think its Aspindale. Some extra whipping over the years maybe..

Wal.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”