Any ideas of the maker?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Pallenpool
Zander

Re: Any ideas of the maker?

Post by Pallenpool »

I would agree with Wal - the way the colour of the blank has aged alone suggests an Asp - and then when you add the whipping pattern - colour etc. certainly points to an Aspindale.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

On closer examination two additional butt rings were missing together with one from the middle section.I have refitted the butt rings(now all agate lined)and fitted some vintage Milwards style black chrome rings to the middle section.The tip section did not need any work.I have varnished the new whippings and when they are all dry the rod will go the turner for a complete re varnishing.Its then ready to use.

I bought a lovely Clayton of Boston American white cane rod a few weeks back.It has spliced middle section into whole cane and a spliced tip section into split cane.Its marked "H.Clayton of Boston 1948" and has got the usual Fenland gold label on It.Clayton of Boston was indeed a fine rod maker.I bought it thinking BendSomeCane might like it,but he has not yet been tempted! to encourage his interest I used it when sat next to him on the Sheffield & Tinsley Canal on Sunday.It handled a 10oz perch well,BSC blanked.He could not even land a signal crayfish,whilst I caught three of the blighters!
Mark Davies

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

Just examining the butt section. Considering the weight ,it appears the bottom of the handle could be loaded with something for the purpose of giving the rod a better balance.
Mark Davies

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Lea Dweller wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:35 pm
Duckett wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 pm I spent the best part of 3 years looking for a ferruless rod. The majority I saw in decent condition were by Clayton of Boston, either father or son. In the end, I bought one by J Clayton (link to thread below). The chap who sold it to me was selling another which looked a lot more like yours but wasn’t in as good condition. However, I have a recollection that most of the J Clayton ones I saw had a small alloy band around the top of the female ferrules. Let me know if a close up photograph would help. Yours is a lovely looking rod.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=32582&p=428511&hil ... ss#p428511
I knew that J. Clayton sold a number of different rods, some of them ferruless, but I wasn't sure if they made them or bought them in. They are very interesting rods (ferruless) and not many people produced them, so it will be interesting to see what other members can contribute! :Hat:
Interesting. I suspect the whole subject of who built what any vendor/maker sold is a deep and complex issue! I recently saw a cane pole from a north London maker (sorry, forget the name) which looked very much like a Sowerbutts to my uneducated eyes but bore the motto “Actual Maker .......”. Not seen that description before!
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Mark, this is the only snippet I can find on the Aspindales Matchdale rods. The D.52b Matchdale No2 which I think could possibly be your rod. Check the weight and see if it is anywhere near.
It's interesting to note the weight saving on the ferruless version is only 3/4ozs but when you consider a lot of rod tip sections only weigh 1.5oz then it is a good saving.

Wal.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Very interesting Wal!
Any advances on a list of their rods?

Penninelad
Arctic Char

Post by Penninelad »

It weighs 1Ilb 3ozs.Perhaps that is because someone had loaded the butt section?
Mark Davies

Crucian
Eel

Post by Crucian »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:20 am I think its Aspindale. Some extra whipping over the years maybe..

Wal.
Me too...

Mick G
Minnow

Post by Mick G »

Good Morning All,

In the late 1950's, I built and used two ferruleless rods in Spanish Reed, from kits bought from J.B.Walker of Hythe, which I used for some ten or so years.

If you have access to a J.B.Walker catalogue from the late 1950's, they were issued yearly as I remember, the description of the rods should give you a clue as to the origin of your rod. I recall that some of the smaller rods sometimes used Spanish Reed for the butt sections, and whole cane for the start of the tip, into which the hollow glass or split cane tip was spliced.

Trusting that you enjoy the rod when you have finished putting it together.

Tight lines,

Mick G

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

Harry H wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:52 pm
Lea Dweller wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:51 pm It may well have had some identifying features removed in the past, but still an interesting rod. We know that Aspindale produced ferruless rods but I am sure that some of our members will have some useful alternative suggestions! :Hat:
Didn't Aspindale put those cream coloured butt buttons on there rods as well?

I can't remember which rod now, but 'Yes' they did on one rod which also had double coloured whippings too. Also on the Croftdale tubular metal rods. However Marco made them for sale and they are interchangeable with any other....

Are the rod rings black? That was common on Milwards coarse rods at one time.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”