Rod (and reel) for Beginner

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Isaac
Stickleback

Rod (and reel) for Beginner

Post by Isaac »

Hi all - relatively new here!

I have been fishing on and off on the coast here in Australia, however only casually with modern kit. I have been looking to get into a more traditional-style, and focus on freshwater fishing, and would like some recommendations on roads/reels that I could go for which wouldn't be too expensive and are simple for the task at hand. I am not yet looking to get into fly fishing (down the line I will be!).

All I am really looking for is simple and not overly long (where I live, we do a bit of hiking to get to good spots, so transportable is important, 10m long rods will get stuck in the trees!), just something I can use for freshwater fishing like trout.

I am a novice when it comes to the topic of these forums, so I may not be making any sense, eager to get some ideas and suggestions for what I can do to start my own journey - everything set on my end except the rod/reel.

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Re: Rod (and reel) for Beginner

Post by Duebel »

You've got two lovely wooden centrepins. If you can get them running more or less smoothly, you've got two nice reels to start your traditional journey.

I don't know how easy it is in Australia, to find usable cane rods for coarse fishing. I bet you're eager to get out there and catch a couple of fish.
Any rod of about 9 - 10 ft will do the job, as long as it's not too stiff. Cane, glass, carbon - just take what you can get or what you already have.
I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of your first traditionally caught fresh water fish!
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Isaac
Stickleback

Post by Isaac »

Duebel wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:05 am You've got two lovely wooden centrepins. If you can get them running more or less smoothly, you've got two nice reels to start your traditional journey.

I don't know how easy it is in Australia, to find usable cane rods for coarse fishing. I bet you're eager to get out there and catch a couple of fish.
Any rod of about 9 - 10 ft will do the job, as long as it's not too stiff. Cane, glass, carbon - just take what you can get or what you already have.
I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of your first traditionally caught fresh water fish!
Hey Duebel!

I was just wondering if the reel I have attached (ignore the line, I'm mid removing it) is used in the same way as a more modern casting reel - or is it used differently (that is, casting technique)? It may be because I have not yet finished working on it, but I do not yet think a line would be cast from it smoothly - this may very well just require a bit more work as it was in pretty bad shape, but I wanted to be sure if that was how it was supposed to be used! Quite new to this :)

As for your rod suggestions, thank you very much - I have seen some online advertisement for things that sound like what you mentioned, so I will go and see what I can do and once I get my hands on it, I will make sure to post a picture!

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

These reels are not really designed for casting. You'll be surprised, how many fish can be caught only one or two rod lengths out!
The easiest cast, is to pull out a loop of line between the first and the second ring (seen from the butt end of the rod) and flick the float out with a gentle under arm swing. Don't forget to let go of the line just in the right moment.
Once the float is sitting nicely in the current of the river, you can navigate it right to the spot where you suspect the fish are feeding.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Isaac
Stickleback

Post by Isaac »

Duebel wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:47 am These reels are not really designed for casting. You'll be surprised, how many fish can be caught only one or two rod lengths out!
The easiest cast, is to pull out a loop of line between the first and the second ring (seen from the butt end of the rod) and flick the float out with a gentle under arm swing. Don't forget to let go of the line just in the right moment.
Once the float is sitting nicely in the current of the river, you can navigate it right to the spot where you suspect the fish are feeding.
I suspected this was the way - thank you for confirming! It seems to have more in common with fly-fishing techniques and holding lengths of line, rather than modern casting technique.

Really appreciate the help :)

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

This is a rather good video on how to use a centrepin.

Yours won't spin that freely, but you get an idea of how it's done.
You can't really compare it to fly fishing.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Hello Isaac. Martin is right; there are plenty of rods that will get you started.
This forum has a sort of Gentlemanly adversion to the mention of anything too carbon fibrousy ( though some are suspected of using such devices in private ) but anything that gets you on the bank and catching fish is good.
A friend who visits New Zealand regularly, equips himself with a two section 6 foot solid glass spinning type rod when he goes on hunting and fishing camps.
Such little rods are very basic but robust. And cheap!
They also fit into the vintage ethos as solid fibre glass was a common rod material in the 1960s .
If you desperately want something more stylish then a cane or hollow fibre glass rod (or crabon 🙂) designed for spinning or float fishing will cover you .Unless you are seeking big carp or monster specimens of some devilish Australian species that would terrify us UK types who get excited by a four inch gudgeon .Maybe that's just me.......
You don't say what sort of waters you will be fishing . Big lakes and wide rivers might be more easily
tackled with a fixed spool reel . They are the easy route to long casting as you know from your sea fishing l expect. If you want to stay with the vintage mind-set but not be lured into the mire of earlier collectable models there are plenty of decent cheap fixed spool reels from the 70s still about. Certainly in this country . I don't know what Australian second-hand shops , boot sales and "online auctions" are like .
For ponds and little rivers any reel will do and you already have a collection of classics begging to be used. On many waters ,as Martin mentioned, long casts are not needed and on a stream the current can be used to carry your bait into likely fish holding places.
20201105_092530_resized.jpg
My own heirloom reel- still in use.
20201105_092506_resized.jpg
At the top are a couple of 70s fixed spool reels of the sort that won't set you back a fortune and beneath is a little el-cheapo modern equivilent .
Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kev D on Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Duebel
Rainbow Trout

Post by Duebel »

Definitely not the most traditional option, but you might consider a telescopic rod for travelling light. At least in Germany you can find plenty of decent telescopic rods from the 70ies and 80ies, that are still working fine and have a nice vintage appearance.
Greetings from Bamberg
Martin

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I'd also say a good glass rod as they will put up with saltwater and harsh sunshine far better than cane. Just keep them varnished with a uV protectant and washed down after each session. A medium / heavy 9 to 10ft hollow glass spinning rod is perhaps the most general rod the world over?

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

The biggest problem might be availability and postal cost especially for rods. I would first look into what is being offered locally and then research how much it would cost to ship a rod over from Europe.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”