Cane Fly rod made on Islay.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
ChrisMec
Ruffe

Cane Fly rod made on Islay.

Post by ChrisMec »

Hello all, I have a 10ft. three piece cane fly rod that I bought a few years ago. Above the handle in black ink it has "Roy Graham Coullabus Islay" and above that " S. Murray". I have searched for information about Mr. Graham and his rods. I have found information about a Keepers Cottage on Islay called Coullabus and an Auction of a 9ft. cane rod made by R.H. Graham of Islay. The handle is 9 1/2ins long, it has no fly keeper ring above the handle and no indication of a line size. It is a well made rod and feels easy on the wrist I hope to try it out soon covid permitting.
If there is anyone on the forum who can offer any information about the above, any help will be appreciated.

Regards
Chris.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Re: Cane Fly rod made on Islay.

Post by Nobby »

I can't help with any information about rod or builder, but here is an image of the Coullabus Keeper's Cottage

It sits on a small track above Loch Indail where the Bruichladdich and Bowmore distilleries lie opposite one another.

If you like whisky you probably already know of Islay's smoky whiskies, Bowmore possibly being the smokiest.

ChrisMec
Ruffe

Post by ChrisMec »

Hello Nobby thank you for your reply, it's a compact looking cottage with what looks like dog kennels in the back ground. I was hoping there would be a member from Scotland with information on local rod builders, unfortunately not.
As for Islay's Whiskies, Iaphroaig is the one I would ask for from the Laphroaig Distillery.
Regards Chris.

Nobby
Wild Carp

Post by Nobby »

My first introduction to Islay whiskies was indeed Laphroaig, Chris.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”