Bowness and Bowness fly rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
OldAngler
Perch

Bowness and Bowness fly rod

Post by OldAngler »

I know this is in the wrong section but there is no section for wooden rods!

A friend has asked me to refurbish an old wooden fly rod.

It is: Bowness and Bowness, 250 Strand, London, stamped on the butt cap.
12 feet, four piece. the top section is Greenheart I think, but the bottom three sections are a black wood. I cannot tell yet whether the wood is black, or it has been stained then varnished, or varnished with black varnish.
The rod rings on the bottom two sections are snake rings, but on the top two sections they are folding rings! See photos.
The ferrules are normal brass but at the base of each ferrule is a tiny loop of wire, presumably for a tie of some kind to hold the ferrules locked together and in place. I personally have never seen folding rings or little loops as on this rod.

My friend thinks it was made about 70 to 80 years ago, which would be during or shortly after the Second World War. At that time I assume there were few if any imports of bamboo so perhaps that explains the use of wood.

Does anyone know anything about this rod or about Bowness and Bowness as rod manufacturers?

Photos enclosed.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Bowness and Bowness fly rod

Post by Santiago »

Good luck with restoring it. A word of warning, the old greenheart rods are prone to shattering when used, because the wood oils have all dried out making the wood stiffer and fragile to stresses during casting etc.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi, I am about to "do up" a similar London rod by Eaton and Deller so Santiagos' advice is heeded.I recently purchased a period reel by the same maker again with the Crooked Lane Address. I believe the rods are much older, Edwardian at a guess! Heavy fly rods for trout ,with the loops temporally secured with thread to ensure the sections dont come apart whilst casting. "Drop rings" though out on mine. Hollow bottom section with removable brass plug to store either top section or a spare in . It is black finished so I thought Hickory or Ash . Why would Greenheart be vanished or painted ,unless of a poor quality which is often pale.The construction of the tapering called for a high degree of craftsmanship and "eye" rods worthy of good materials and hopefully continued survival, good luck with your project. Tony. :Thumb:

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

OldAngler wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:13 pm I know this is in the wrong section but there is no section for wooden rods!

A friend has asked me to refurbish an old wooden fly rod.

It is: Bowness and Bowness, 250 Strand, London, stamped on the butt cap.
12 feet, four piece. the top section is Greenheart I think, but the bottom three sections are a black wood. I cannot tell yet whether the wood is black, or it has been stained then varnished, or varnished with black varnish.
The rod rings on the bottom two sections are snake rings, but on the top two sections they are folding rings! See photos.
The ferrules are normal brass but at the base of each ferrule is a tiny loop of wire, presumably for a tie of some kind to hold the ferrules locked together and in place. I personally have never seen folding rings or little loops as on this rod.

My friend thinks it was made about 70 to 80 years ago, which would be during or shortly after the Second World War. At that time I assume there were few if any imports of bamboo so perhaps that explains the use of wood.

Does anyone know anything about this rod or about Bowness and Bowness as rod manufacturers?
I think your rod is a little older than you might think, a lot older in fact

Bowness & Bowness were trading from 230 Strand and the company was dissolved on 24th June 1879.

Therealflyman
Stickleback

Post by Therealflyman »

Being the owner of this rod I can only congratulate my good friend for the fantastic job done on this rod
It was so much better than i could have wished for.
I am on the lookout for the trout reel to match a bowness and bowness brass ebonite if any one knows of the location of one I would be most grateful

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”