Whole cane butt Southwell trotting rod.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Digger
Minnow

Whole cane butt Southwell trotting rod.

Post by Digger »

Hi All

With every passing decade I am coming to a further conclusion about the rarity and special nature of this rod and now I am back online I wanted to share it with you or any that are interested; I hope you like it.

The primary reason I am taking the time out to put this together is that I have never seen another rod of quite this nature or description and i'm hoping perhaps someone has one somewhere and we can exchange some notes.Also that it might further extend the info on the forum.
The rod was ordered and bought new from Bobs shop in Croydon in 1964. It is called the special trotting rod and is 11'3''; three piece and with a slim whole cane butt and built cane top two sections. It carries the complete shop log. The bag is original as are the two wooden stoppers. The rod is whipped in black and green and has reg highlighting on the butt section which sets it all off nicely. The rod was built specifically for Chub fishing on the western Rother as Dad thought the Whithalls Avon he used was too powerful.
The rod was used extensively for Chub fishing by my father and I have also used it a lot over the last 15 years for Chub fishing in Feb / March on my local small rivers.The condition I would describe as excellent considering the level of use it has had and it has been well preserved and maintained. I do clean the handle after every trip and give it a wipe down and hang correctly. I have had to give the rod a very light varnish just once to preserve the whippings and writing/ labels, plus the odd straighten every now and again. The ferrules still pop but are pushing home now, they might just see me out! The rod had a new top section by Oliver's in the early eighties to the original taper, the cane is a bit lighter on the top section and the stand off rings were renewed, the ferrule and tip ring are original.
For quite a long time I thought I had a Southwell made Avocet however although it is just like an Avocet in nature it is much lighter, more like a Wizard with a full soft and through action. I've spoken with a few people without them seeing the rod and Avocet, Arun and custom special have been suggested. The last is possible but in my humble opinion and having researched and debated this for a long, long time I think the blank is based upon an early Avon perfection; effectively an Avocet but scaled down. It really perfectly suits a 3 lb line but with do a 2 or a 4. Medium sized Chub from smaller rivers are it's perfect quarry but it is also good for Roach, Rudd, Perch, Crucian and snag free Tench fishing. It has a complete all through action which allows the use of lighter lines and absorbs lunges brilliantly. The interesting thing is that it feels a little floppy in the hand which can be a bad sign, but when you get stuck into something decent it just comes alive.
I love the rod and I feel so lucky and proud to own and use it as often as I can. I'd love some feedback if you have something v similar.
Very best wishes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Catfish.017
Eel

Re: Whole cane butt Southwell trotting rod.

Post by Catfish.017 »

I owned a very similar rod, a Davenport and Fordham Farstrike Avon, beautiful action and it handled the biggest fish I've ever caught, a 23lb Carp. So why on earth I sold it through Mullocks in a clear out a few years ago I can't for the life of me understand? I deeply regret it now as it would suffice for 90% of my fishing now.

Digger
Minnow

Post by Digger »

I know what you mean Catfish, Why on earth do we sell things so precious? I've sold some irreplaceable rods under the banner of being skint or surplus to requirements. When I look back now I think I must have needed my head testing!Thanks for the reply!

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

That is a cracking rod - I cannot shed anymore light upon it after your findings and known history - but to say it is a rarity would be very true - superb - The early whole butt Avocets are much sort after nowadays and for good reason - this rod is an even rarer proposition altogether.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Hi Digger.
I acquired something very similar a couple of months ago, currently having some TLC, its an Ogden Smith Arun long trotter. 11'3" It doesn't appear in any catalogue so it must have been a bespoke build. I have another Arun and 2 whole cane butt early Avocets and this new rod is much lighter in the hand with a very slim whole cane butt section and lighter tip section.
The middle and tip section is in my opinion undoubtingly Southwell based on some very clever friends rod builders collectors etc who live and work very close to me, some will know who I refer to. It really is a stunning rod. I should get some pictures in the next couple of weeks i will pm some through to you when they arrive.
Bumble
Last edited by Bumble on Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Bumble wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:19 pm Hi Digger.
I acquired something very similar a couple of months ago, currently having some TLC, its an Ogden Smith Arun long trotter. 11'3" It doesn't appear in any catalogue so it must have been a bespoke build. I have another Arun and 2 whole cane butt early Avocets and this new rod is much lighter in the hand with a very slim whole cane butt section and lighter tip section.
The middle and tip section is undoubtingly Southwell it really is a stunning rod. I should get some pictures in the next couple of weeks i will pm some through to you when they arrive.
Bumble
Having read much on this forum about the authenticity and origins of various rods, I am certainly curious about the origins of Bumble's Ogden Smith whole cane butt long trotting rod! If this rod is the same one that was sold by a well known dealer, it was described as being an 'Ogden Smith later model' 'professionally restored' with a 'longer than normal cork handle' Bumble you have described the middle and tip sections of your rod as being "undoubtingly Southwell" and "It must have been a bespoke build" as it does not appear in any catalogue, can I politely ask how you know the middle and tip to be "undoubtingly Southwell"? I am the owner of a lovely 'Don's of Edmonton' MK IV Richard Walker Carp rod, that I BELIEVE was built using an Oliver's blank as Don's used first Southwell and later Oliver's of Knebworth blanks. I advertised my rod for sale and referred to the Oliver's/ Southwell connection, as it is commonly known that Don's used blanks from both suppliers. I would not have advertised my rod as either Oliver's or Southwell without absolute proof, so as Don Neish passed away some time ago, it is not possible. I am presuming that the original owner of your rod has provided some provenance to support it's origin's? :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Hi Lea.
The said rod was indeed with a dealer friend of mine for a short while however the original owner was also a friend from Germany. Who is a very well known angler over there he also has one of the largest collections of cane and glass rods it was 1 of 8 Aun's in his collection, yes 8 and i thought having 2 was greedy. He was, still is , convinced it was a Southwell build. When the rod arrived i showed it to another collector friend and the restorer, Builder both members on here who concurred with the Southwell build.
Its all too complicated for me something to do with node pressing etc. I have several Southwell rods with the station road decals and a couple with Captain Bob on.
Over the years i have learnt to totally trust the opinions of the 3 people mentioned particularly when it comes to cane rods and all things Southwell
hope this helps.
Bumble

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Bumble wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:35 am Hi Lea.
The said rod was indeed with a dealer friend of mine for a short while however the original owner was also a friend from Germany. Who is a very well known angler over there he also has one of the largest collections of cane and glass rods it was 1 of 8 Aun's in his collection, yes 8 and i thought having 2 was greedy. He was, still is , convinced it was a Southwell build. When the rod arrived i showed it to another collector friend and the restorer, Builder both members on here who concurred with the Southwell build.
Its all too complicated for me something to do with node pressing etc. I have several Southwell rods with the station road decals and a couple with Captain Bob on.
Over the years i have learnt to totally trust the opinions of the 3 people mentioned particularly when it comes to cane rods and all things Southwell
hope this helps.
Bumble
Having carefully read your reply, the facts are that there is no proof or provenance for the Ogden Smith rod, just someone's opinion. I can understand that you trust the opinion of the people that you consulted, but it is still just that, an opinion. Sadly I have had reason to doubt 'expert' opinion, as I have found to my cost that it is not always reliable! My bad experiences have probably made me cynical, but unless I see indisputable evidence/proof of the authenticity of an item, I will not rely on an opinion, neither would a court! I have seen too many obvious fakes, possible fakes, etc,etc, over the years, with potentially big money at stake. I am sure that you have seen such fakes yourself, some of them are so good that even 'experts' have been fooled. I wish you well with your rod, thank you for clarifying that there is no provenance. :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Bumble
Rainbow Trout

Post by Bumble »

Lea I have corrected my original post based on your comments.
Bumble

Santiago
Wild Carp

Post by Santiago »

I've a very similar mystery avocet style rod, same taper etc. and a whole cane butt section. And it certainly is great for trotting. I bought it on ebay several years ago for next to nothing, possibly my best ebay buy todate.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”