severe curve to end section.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Splitcaner
Ruffe

severe curve to end section.

Post by Splitcaner »

Please help with some advice on a severe curve to end section of my split cane rod. I know they not got a very good name with the forum lads but its still a cane rod. Its approx. 11ft Olympic made in Japan, its quite well made with lined rings throughout nice intermediate whipping too. Its quite heavy not one to hold for too long. Now the problem, the tip section droops about 2 1/2",I think it could be the rings they are full open bridge lined rings and there are 6 of them on the end section. In my opinion too much weight, either that or its had some serious abuse. Will taking off the rings and stripping down and turning half way round and putting back less rings cure the problem. Used it today and it looks really sad drooping down. John.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Re: severe curve to end section.

Post by Harry H »

Splitcaner wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:09 pm Please help with some advice on a severe curve to end section of my split cane rod. I know they not got a very good name with the forum lads but its still a cane rod. Its approx. 11ft Olympic made in Japan, its quite well made with lined rings throughout nice intermediate whipping too. Its quite heavy not one to hold for too long. Now the problem, the tip section droops about 2 1/2",I think it could be the rings they are full open bridge lined rings and there are 6 of them on the end section. In my opinion too much weight, either that or its had some serious abuse. Will taking off the rings and stripping down and turning half way round and putting back less rings cure the problem. Used it today and it looks really sad drooping down. John.
Before stripping the rod down turn the rod so the rings are uppermost and compare the droop then you'll know if it's the weight of the rings or not.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Splitcaner
Ruffe

Re: severe curve to end section.

Post by Splitcaner »

Thanks for reply, have tried that idea its not as bad but still a curve obviously upwards this time.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”