Rod detective required

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Gsmn1
Gudgeon

Rod detective required

Post by Gsmn1 »

Does anyone know anything about this make of Rod?
Elasticane. Medway deluxe. Hollow built.

Santiago
Wild Carp

Re: Rod detective required

Post by Santiago »

It's a Marco medway rod.
"....he felt the gentle touch on the line and he was happy"

Hemingway

MGs
Pike

Post by MGs »

Modern Arms Co Ltd. More information here viewforum.php?f=310
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Richard Jackson
Brown Trout

Post by Richard Jackson »

Marco are my favourite make of rod , I am by no means an expert compared to some members but what is it you would like to know
I spend most of my life fishing the Rest i just waste

Gsmn1
Gudgeon

Post by Gsmn1 »

Thanks for the offer of info. I guess the first question is about the history of the company. We’re they south east based and is the reference to the Medway, the River Medway (which is my local river!). The second area is about quality. How are they rated amongst the great and the good. Should I hang onto it? I have an Avocet that always seems to take priority over this rod for general float fishing. I guess by learning a bit more I can enjoy it a bit more (and give the old girl a bit more airtime on the bank). Thanks

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Modern Arms Co (Marco)

Marco Works, Pembroke Road, Widmore, Bromley, Kent. Telephone: Ravensbourne 3483. Cables: "Modarcom, London". Works: Redditch, Worcs.

1923 Established at 133 Fenchurch Street.

1928 Became a limited liability company.

1947 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of Fishing Rods, Reels and all Tackle. Sporting Guns, Air Guns, Air Pistols and Ammunition, Educational Drawing Equipment, Fishing Tackle. (Olympia, 1st Floor, Stand No. F.1806)

Kev D
Chub

Post by Kev D »

Gsmn1 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:11 am Thanks for the offer of info. I guess the first question is about the history of the company. We’re they south east based and is the reference to the Medway, the River Medway (which is my local river!). The second area is about quality. How are they rated amongst the great and the good. Should I hang onto it? I have an Avocet that always seems to take priority over this rod for general float fishing. I guess by learning a bit more I can enjoy it a bit more (and give the old girl a bit more airtime on the bank). Thanks
Hang on to it but don't be afraid to use it ; l think that sums up how Marco rods are rated. I've three🙂
In order to shoot some close-ups, wildlife photographer ,the late Len Scapstillon, lured the orca to him by dressing as a seal.......

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

A definite keeper I would say.
I have a Marco Test which I would never part with but yours looks a very fine rod and not very common at all.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Here is a Medway Deluxe I bought a few years ago. It's a nice, steely rod and the cane is quite dark. Unfortunately, the Marco transfer is crumbling away so maybe I should have given it a coat of varnish soon after buying it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing....
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Gsmn1
Gudgeon

Post by Gsmn1 »

Well, well! I currently live no more than half a mile from Pembroke Road in Bromley. For that alone, I should keep it. Glad to hear that its quality is well regarded. And for the forthcoming season I may park the avocet and take my Medway Deluxe to the Medway from Bromley! :-)

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”