Short cane tench / carp rod recommendations.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Cat
Chub

Short cane tench / carp rod recommendations.

Post by Cat »

Evening All,
When this is all over and the new season begins, I'm going to take a day off and go to a small pool I occasionally fish in Staffordshire. I think I may treat myself to a 'new' rod for this occasion.
The swim I often fish is extremely tight...margin work (often only a foot out), with a very narrow, overgrown path to bury myself in or lie on. I usually use a 9'2" Hardy glass Swimfeeder, but even this is a challenge. So, recommendations for a short cane rod for such work please. Tench are present and the smallish carp come right in. This is a very small and rarely fished pool (I've only ever seen four other people there), but reputedly the carp go up to 30lb, and are very wary and clever!
Regards Cat

Aitch
Pike

Re: Short cane tench / carp rod recommendations.

Post by Aitch »

A Dawsons of Bromley Medina would do the job I think, or possibly a Sharpe's 8' spinning rod
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

TrentFisher
Crucian Carp

Post by TrentFisher »

Hi Cat,

I was going for the 8 ft Sharpe's option.I have one and use it in the jungle swims on the Trent which like the water you have describe...tight on space.

Now if you are up for some fun and a project...maybe an Allcock's Lightcaster,only 7ft .However I may suggest to extend the handle via a cork butt extension.
Very testy if your having a red letter day and hook the thirty!

Glass rod wise consider a 10ft float rod and reduce the butt section so it is just the handle section .Make a reducer out of the discarded part and then araldite the ferrule joint to the butt.
You may have to re-space rings but it could be a Covid -19 project!

Good luck
Nige.

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

Hardy Wanless 9/10lb. It is only 7ft and can hook and hold a beast.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Cat what is the water like around the tight swim you are proposing to fish? Margins, then open water or are we talking margins and a small enclosed bay? What predominately would you be fishing for? The Tench or the Carp? It’s just for life of me I cannot come up with a suitable solution that will fit your requirement across those two species certainly without a little more detail.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi Everyone,
Thank you for your replies to date. I wish I had a photo. The swim is a small enclosed bay under and to the left of an alder. The 'path' is so tight (with steep banking directly behind) that you have to sit / lie at an angle. In the water, the tree roots are close in and evident on the right. There is little weed. The tench usually feed straight out in front, just beyond realistic lift method, often on a shelf before the pond deepens, but I have caught them close in on the tree roots on occasion (and lost a few there too). The carp often come through the roots (coming from the right) right in on the bank... particularly a lovely golden one (most obvious). Overhead casting is out of the question due to low branches...this is a tad annoying as the carp often surface feed beyond the shelf coming out from under the trees that form a proverbial jungle off to the right (there is no possible access through the alder for about 50 yards).
It's the conundrum between hit and hold close in, and the desired ability to cast out reasonably softly (if this makes sense / and such a rod exists?). Carrying two rods just complicates matters due to space).
It is a lovely and peaceful challenge!
Regards Cat

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

To me it sounds strewn with obstacles that generally for some means challenge on (me being in that number) I personally feel you stand a better chance of tackling the Tench in such a confined and risky (to you and the fish) situation. A 20+ Carp a foot from the margin reed will be explosive to say the least and I do not think you will have much chance in stopping it and if you did there equally doesn’t sound like there is much space to do anything with the fish either. The Tench and small Carp are the fish to aim for in my humble opinion. But if you do hook a biggie the rods below will give you a chance with some feel added into the equation.

I would look to take a 12-16” of a MKIV type rod, you will have the power and some feel in what you hook.

Fosters of Ashbourne - The Ideal - 9ft
Dawson’s of Bromley - Medina - 8ft
Barder - Carp Crawler - if you can find one - and then the £££
Millwards - Spinversa - 8ft 9”
B James Grebe - 8ft 6” - cut down version of a MKIV
One for sale now - at www.qualityvintagetackle.co.uk

Last edited by Pallenpool on Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I agree with Snape, the Hardy Wanless in 9/10 lb will handle just about anything. They also come in 8ft and 10 ft lengths and in various line strengths from 4lb up.
They are excellent rods in all their guises but I think the 7ft long 9/10lb rod would suit your swim perfectly.

Wal.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Thank you for your suggestions Gentlemen...all appreciated.
The big carp don't come in close (they certainly won't fit close in), and it isn't those that I am really after. I am however, after that golden one that sticks a fin out at me as it cruises past on occasion (it really has to struggle through the roots)! This particular fish and tench are the target, and I want to be able to hit and hold without damaging them.

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:32 am I agree with Snape, the Hardy Wanless in 9/10 lb will handle just about anything. They also come in 8ft and 10 ft lengths and in various line strengths from 4lb up.
They are excellent rods in all their guises but I think the 7ft long 9/10lb rod would suit your swim perfectly.

Wal.
Hi Cat, somewhere in my 'forest' of projects and odd sections I have a Wanless 9/10. I can't remember if there are rings on It ? If you're interested I'll dig it out and check it.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”