A bit of Walker history

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

A bit of Walker history

Post by Mole-Patrol »

I have been doing a bit of digging into the confusing situation at Alnwick with various Walkers supplying fishing tackle.

The first thing I found is that the well known John James Selby Walker b. around 1865 in Belton, Sunderland was initially apprenticed as a cabinet maker in 1881 but then transferred his skills to making cane fishing rods in Alnwick. His census records do not indicate that he was an employee so it may be that he was self employed. When Hardy started making cane rods they are said to have hired good cabinet makers so there is the possibility that JJS Walker could have spent some time at Hardy between the census dates.

JJS Walker was still employed as a fishing rod maker in 1911 when at the time his nephew James Alexander Walker was living with him and also employed as an apprentice at a fishing rod works. James had lost his mother two years before and sadly lost his wife two years after their marriage in 1915. His father, also James Alexander was employed as an iron monger.

By 1911 JJS Walker was operating as JJS Walker & Co and had taken on Charles S Bampton who was a brass worker and former nautical instrument maker. Bampton was listed in the company's 1913 catalogue as being on charge of rod and net fittings. At the same time WH Dingley was shown as head of reel works having joined JJS Walker & Co from Hardys in 1911. Dingley was making the JJS Walker & Co reels and also supplying other companies with his own reels. Westley Richards listed Dingley made reels from 1911.

Dingley opened his own premises around 1913 but still supplied JJS Walker & Co with reels. Some time before 1920 JJS Walker & Co became known as JJS Walker Bampton & Co.

James Alexander Walker went into business on his own and continued to trade as JA Walker & Co of Howick Street, Alnwick from around 1928 to 1938.

Later JB Walker traded in Newcastle and then moved to Hythe in Kent. There does not appear to be any connection.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: A bit of Walker history

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Thanks for that Clive, all this information needs recording.
It amazing how many north east tackle makers were ex Hardy employees. I believe a few of them continued to make rods for hardys when demand was greater than production numbers.

Wal.

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Interesting information that, I had read somewhere that he indeed had worked for Hardy's and I had wondered if he like Dingley had a falling out with them over a patent.
In 1910 J.J.S Walker filed a patent for the hook and screw type rod ferrule but the sealing fee wasn't paid, I use to have a rod with this type of ferrule with Hardy patent stamped on it so who knows.
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

JJB walker started his own business around 1907 according the the D is for Dingle book. So if he did leave Hardys it would have been before that patent application. He had been working as a fishing rod maker for many years, but there was no annotation to say whether he was employed or self-employed.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Thanks for the information Clive, that's the first time I have been able to make any sense of the multitude of Walkers in the north east.
I have a 10ft JA Walker rod that I had always assumed was a heavy spinning rod but trying to find any reference to it has so far drawn a blank. The hardware, including twist lock ferrules, are suspiciously similar to the Hardy ones. Tis a lovely quality rod and would make a good carp rod I should imagine.
Does anyone know of sources of reference/catalogues for JA Walker?
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Cane
Grayling

Post by Cane »

I thought I’d try out my 8‘ J. J. S Walker. Bampton & Co rod today at a local lake. Combined the rod with a Mitchell 305. They make a good combination. So good that this little beauty practically threw itself at the hook!Image
In the mud and scum of things, something always, always sings!
Mrs Wigg's philosophy

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”