Old boat rod

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Catfish.017
Eel

Old boat rod

Post by Catfish.017 »

A cold day today, I felt disinclined to go fishing so decided to have a 'tidy up' of the forest of old bits of rod that has accumulated in a corner of the garage. A few years ago I bought a job lot of assorted cane, greenheart and hickory sections and some complete rods too. Today I singled out a seven foot greenheart boat rod , well constructed but missing it's rings. I found some suitably hefty porcelain jobs to whip on after freeing up the ferrule. As I rotated the butt section whilst attaching the ring, the large red rubber button came undone. As I refitted it I noticed there was lettering on the brass butt cap. Army and Navy CSL, Victoria St SW1. So probably a decent bit of kit in its timeImageI've seen the odd Salmon rod from this maker on the auction sites, I wonder if they made any Coarse rods?

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Re: Old boat rod

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Lots of Fly rods, and do not dismiss the Colonial Trade for Gents on postings around the Empire.This one looks if it would pull the plug out of the reservoir! :dance2: Tony

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Tonkin Wand wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:05 pm Lots of Fly rods, and do not dismiss the Colonial Trade for Gents on postings around the Empire.This one looks if it would pull the plug out of the reservoir! :dance2: Tony
Yep pretty sturdy, make a good pool cue!

Rutland Rod
Arctic Char

Post by Rutland Rod »

I don’t think that my rod has an inscription on the butt end but it looks very similar to yours, It’s very nice to use, it tamed one of the farm pond commons as well as the Hardy LH2 I pair it with.
DaveImageImage[img]https://i.imgur.com/REnIydF.jpg[/img

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Trust me RR your rod is like a toothpick alongside this beast. I dread to think what the test curve might be!

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”