Cane beachcaster for pike?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Re: Cane beachcaster for pike?

Post by Dave Burr »

Bill wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:35 pm Gorgeous fish Dave! Nice reel too, is it an old alvey side cast?
It's a Scout - the biggest size (120?) and very useful for piking. Don't worry too much about shorter rods ability to cast, I've put 2.3 oz 85 yards with a Hardy LRH1 and the Scottie in the picture, as long as you cast correctly - will put a sizeable deadbait out with ease. Remember, most rods used to be no longer than 10'.

:Hat:

Bill
Stickleback

Post by Bill »

Liphook wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:02 pm Certainly can't speak of them all Bill, but definitely not the Dawson I own! I'd imagine all but very light beachcasters ie bass/flattie rods will be overkill for pike fishing? I found exactly what I was after in a trio of Conoflex glass blanks sold to me by a retiring rodbuilder. I hope you find what you are looking for :Hat:
Righto, I’ll bear that in mind. Thanks for the advice :Thumb:
“Lord, suffer me to catch a fish so large that even I, when talking of it afterwards, may have no need to lie.” - The Fisherman’s Prayer

Bill
Stickleback

Post by Bill »

Dave Burr wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:59 pm
Bill wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:35 pm Gorgeous fish Dave! Nice reel too, is it an old alvey side cast?
It's a Scout - the biggest size (120?) and very useful for piking. Don't worry too much about shorter rods ability to cast, I've put 2.3 oz 85 yards with a Hardy LRH1 and the Scottie in the picture, as long as you cast correctly - will put a sizeable deadbait out with ease. Remember, most rods used to be no longer than 10'.

Looks spot on, I’ve never used a side cast, what’s it like for long casting? Yeah I’m more leaning towards that length because I’ve found through trial and error that it’s what works for me. I’ve got a good long while to find something before I’ll be defrosting the deadbaits again though, so I’m sure something suitable will pop up on the bay 👍🏻
“Lord, suffer me to catch a fish so large that even I, when talking of it afterwards, may have no need to lie.” - The Fisherman’s Prayer

Dave Burr
Honorary Vice President

Post by Dave Burr »

Bill wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:50 pm
Dave Burr wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:59 pm

Looks spot on, I’ve never used a side cast, what’s it like for long casting? Yeah I’m more leaning towards that length because I’ve found through trial and error that it’s what works for me. I’ve got a good long while to find something before I’ll be defrosting the deadbaits again though, so I’m sure something suitable will pop up on the bay 👍🏻
As far as the Scout side cast goes I'd highly recommend a fixed spool. They are not very nice pins to use, more okay for a novelty day out. Good luck with your search :Thumb:

Bill
Stickleback

Post by Bill »

Old thread but thought I’d make a note of the end result for anyone else with the same predicament I had. I waited it out and ended up getting an allcocks easicast heavy spinning rod (10ft, rated 2-4oz). It was in a sorry state when I got it and I picked up a partial refund from the seller, and after a lengthy restoration, it is a lovely, strong piece of cane. Just need to find that river 30 now and put it to the test :fishing2: thinking of pairing it with a Mitchell 306. Thanks for all the advice guys, tight lines :Thumb:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

I changed to 306's a long time ago - and still have them. They were matched with Conoflex glass rods 1 X 3lb soft 12 footer and 1 x 3lb fast taper also 12ft. Covered all my needs from lives to big leads chucked a long way.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”