J.B. Walker

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Re: J.B. Walker

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Mark posted a 1949 catalogue showing their address as 15 Portland Road, Hythe
viewtopic.php?t=3824

Their last registered address seems to be: 84 Stade Street, Hythe, Kent, CT21 6DA now listed as a dissolved company
https://companycheck.co.uk/company/0057 ... dit-report

But if you want to phone them there is some information in "The Sea Angler's Guide To Great Britain: Where to Go (1975)"
Marine Walk (opposite Town Hall) Tel: Hythe 66288

Best of luck :Chuckle:

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Well there seems to be a glut of Walkers in angling history of excellent rod making!

Walkers of Newcastle also sold there own (?) fly reels.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

It is marvellous what you can find with an enquiring mind and rain hammering on your windows.

The 1891 Census shows a John J S Walker, b. around 1865 Nth Sunderland living at St Pauls, Alnwick and described as "Fishing Rod Maker". He was married with a young daughter, wife's maiden name Ann Jane Brannaghan

10 years later he was described as a "Cane Fishing Rod Builder" and had 4 daughters. When I was looking through the records of 'Walkers' in that area it was surprising how many females there were compared to males. I really shouldn't have been surprised as my wife is a 'Walker' and one of seven daughters.

Further research shows a John James Selby Walker being born in Belford, Sunderland to parents Robert & Susan. Two years previously in 1863 Thomas Edward Mitchell Walker was also born in Belford to the same parents, but he appears to have died in 1871.

We know that J B Walker traded in Newcastle and sold cane rods and reels engraved with his name in the 1920's. However, for me the trail has gone cold. Certainly for my level of access to to genealogy sites. I cannot find a link to J J S Walker's son, if he had one, or a J B Walker from that era by and location who has not been discounted by other evidence.There are plenty of Walkers including quarry men, grooms, gardeners and cabinet makers, even one listed as a fisherman on Holy Island, but I only found one in the tackle trade.

The trade catalogues that Mark posted show J B walker were trading Kent in 1949 and online chat shown J B was known as John. Perhaps someone has the link?

The Mudway Dangler
Minnow

Post by The Mudway Dangler »

I had not realised how much knowledge people on this forum have. Thank you to all that have contributed, but I still have no idea how old or the value my 8' spinning rod is?
I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them here.
As I'm trying to raise cash for my annual pilgrimage to Lanesborough, I've put it on eBay, but of course if anyone want it, please contact me.
To catch is good, to return your catch is better.....

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”