J.B. Walker

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
The Mudway Dangler
Minnow

J.B. Walker

Post by The Mudway Dangler »

Could anyone tell me if J.B. Walker of Hythe were the same company formerly based in Newcastle?
To catch is good, to return your catch is better.....

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Re: J.B. Walker

Post by Wallys-Cast »

I think they were MD. I have rod bag labels from both and the signature script is exactly the same as on the catalogues.

Wal.

The Mudway Dangler
Minnow

Post by The Mudway Dangler »

Cheers Wally, I have a J.B. Walker 8' spinning rod. I was confused as it says Newcastle upon Tyne on the brass butt. Part of my collection that is destined for eBay.
Paul
To catch is good, to return your catch is better.....

RBTraditional
Catfish

Post by RBTraditional »

Thanks for that Wal as I’d always assumed they were two separate companies with the same name. Do you know when they relocated to the Kent coast, as you know I do have a bit of a thing about their Avon rods and it would be interesting to find out why and when....?
" Angling is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it..."

https://thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk/

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

The earliest Hythe date I can find is from a 1941 catalogue.

They moved from 15 Portland Road to 7 and 9 Marine Walk Street and also had a branch at Dover Road in Folkstone.
I think they may have kept the 63 Newgate Street Newcastle address going for a while.
I have had a couple of Edgard Sealey rods with J B Walker Newcastle labels on them but I don't know if there was a connection or they just sold other makers rods as well.

There was some interesting history about the Bruce and Walker partnership but that seems to have vanished over the years.

Wal.

Mole-Patrol
Brown Trout

Post by Mole-Patrol »

Some history here: http://www.inthenetuk.com/pages/Vintage ... Walker.asp
The partnership of Jim Bruce and Ken Walker was unique in the British tackle industry.

Jim Bruce served his apprenticeship under his father, also James Bruce, who reversed his names and became B James & Son of London.

By 1959 Jim Bruce Jnr. could see that cane days were numbered He and his family moved out of central London to the village of Upwood, Cambridgeshire. Here he met businessman Ken Walker and together they made a sound partnership of solid engineering experience, fishing aficionados, and most of all, friends.

Between them they manufactured the first British made fibre glass fishing rods. They were world pioneers in the development of carbon fibre, and for years Bruce & Walker 15’ salmon rods were regarded as the very best any salmon fly fisherman could use. In the early 1980’s Ken Walker’s daughter and husband, Brian Potter, joined the family business. Both keen fishers, Kay still holds the family record of a 26½ lb salmon, caught on Lower Newtyle on the Tay.

Jim Bruce passed away in the millennium year. In October 2000, Ken Walker handed over the business to the third generation, his daughter and son-in-law.

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Was it the same WALKER family who joined with James of B James & Son to form BRUCE & WALKER - - ???

Found a few rods sold in the past:-
'A large 3 piece fishing rod, stamped J B Walker, 53 Clayton Street, Newcastle on Tyne'
and a reference to a 'J B Walker rod made in 1910'.

And from this Forum:-
""""Re: J B Walker, Newcastle
Post by Davyr » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:17 pm
I've been having a trawl through the British Phone Books via the Ancestry subscription site, which has shed some light on locations for JB Walker ("Fishing Reqs"):

1947-1961: 63 Newgate St, Newcastle-on-Tyne, PLUS another shop at Meal Market, Hexham
1962-1964: Not listed
1965-1970: 26 Northumberland Street, Newcastle-on-Tyne, PLUS the Hexham shop.
1971: Hexham shop only

I can't find them thereafter, nor any evidence that they decamped to Kent at that or any other time."""

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:42 am I think they were MD. I have rod bag labels from both and the signature script is exactly the same as on the catalogues.

Wal.
Well done Wal, I had no idea the there was a connection between J.B.Walker Newcastle and J.B.Walker Kent! I am not aware that there is ANY connection between Ken Walker (of Bruce&Walker) Jim Bruce (who joined him from B.James to form Bruce&Walker) and J.B.Walker. I think it is just coincidence that the initials and names have led to speculation about a possible connection? As always, I could be wrong, but I don't think so! :Hat:
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes I think you are correct Ted. I once fished with a chap who lived near J B Walker and he gave me the history lesson but there are a lot of Walkers connected to the fishing industry especially up here.

Wal.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi Olly, I tried going via Ancestory ,telephone books and trade directories for Hythe Kent. Zero found. Cannot believe J.B. was not eventually on the phone at his premises.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”