Cane pike rod?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Fredline
Tench

Re: Cane pike rod?

Post by Fredline »

Sorry Cat but I had almost as many rods under the table as "first dibs" as on it at last years Redditch and apart from the Germans and Wal who bought their put aside rods , the rest were rejected and missed out on 2/3 hours viewing and a possible sale. Once bitten etc. So this year there will be no "first dibs" just early birds.
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Cat
Chub

Post by Cat »

Hi,
That's fair enough...I'll attempt to be there at an early time!
Thanks Cat

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

I would go for a Sharpes 9’6” - a powerful rod but responsive - like the LRH’s in many respects - they have a screw down reel seat - you will pick one up at a more competitive price than most mentioned.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Beresford
Sea Trout

Post by Beresford »

The Sharpes is a good call. Certainly a very capable rod – being an impregnated rod your likely to be able to find one in good or very good condition.
The Split Cane Splinter Group

Pallenpool
Zander

Post by Pallenpool »

Cat wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:39 pm Evening All,
I appreciate that the season may be considered as drawing towards its traditional end, but some recommendations for a good cane piking rod would be appreciated. 10' would probably be preferred, but I don't really want to spend Chapmans Dennis Pye 700 money if possible (I'm sure one would be perfect, but they seem expensive).
Regards Cat
I would say that Fredline’s offer price on the Pye is excellent I only mentioned the Sharpes because I picked my TWO up for £150 - both excellent condition - as you were talking funds ‘allowing’ there’s not to my mind anything that comes closer to your needs.
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Every day I get on the bay and one of the things I have in my search list is cane rods and another is pike rods and yet another is Dennis Pye pike rods,(then theres old mags,old bite alarms etc etc) Of course they do come up from time to time but are usually £200 +,Which is way to much for me,what I am hoping for is to find is one that is in bad condition,ie rusty eyes,whippings hanging off and maybe in need of varnishing,I would just clean it up a bit and use it,as long as the transfer/writing was intact,I would be a happy boy......Now I will be having a look out for the other 2 pike rods that someone mentioned ie..Marco silver monarch and the Marco silver king,Thanks for that. :Thumb:

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

In fact I am going to get on there right now,can't wait,Happy days

Swythyn Troutbeck
Grayling

Post by Swythyn Troutbeck »

If you can find one, a Lee of Pershore/Redditch Lepson should do the job for about 100 pounds. Good strong rod with screw winch fittings.

Troutbeck :Hat:
When I'm not fishin' I'm fettlin'

Jeremy Croxall
Zander

Post by Jeremy Croxall »

Sharpes Scottie 9'3" Salmon Spinner would do the job. As has been previously mentioned, impregnated cane provides lasting protection and durability so you should be able to find good examples. Stout rings and strong knurled ferrules on these rods are good features along with a secure screwlocking reel seat. Superb high quality rods, up there with the very best. :Hat:
"Oh for want of rod and line I'd fish this stream serene, sublime".

Tizer
Chub

Post by Tizer »

Thanks boys,Two more to look out for

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”