News of the World prize rod for 1lb 8oz 5dr Dace 1932

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Pallenpool
Zander

Re: News of the World prize rod for 1lb 5oz 8dr Dace 1932

Post by Pallenpool »

That is a fabulous looking rod - at least we definitely know the restorer - fine job indeed.
:Hat:
No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.

Heraclitus

www.thepiscatorialraconteurs.co.uk

CWK
Perch

Post by CWK »

That list shows a record Grayling weight of 7lbs 2oz !!! Surely that cannot be correct ??.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

And on the river Melgum? Not a river I've ever heard of? Also there is the massive Annan chub alleged to have been caught whilst salmon fishing

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Those are the 'old' records - they virtually started again and threw our those that were 'suspect' - dace - chub and grayling being 3 of the many!

Coral Maestro
Chub

Post by Coral Maestro »

Liphook wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:33 pm And on the river Melgum? Not a river I've ever heard of? Also there is the massive Annan chub alleged to have been caught whilst salmon fishing
The River Melgum is a tributary of the River Isla which in turn is a tributary of the Tay in east Scotland. I had one of my early personal best grayling from the Isla so I don't doubt that there are grayling in the Melgum but 7lbs+?!!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

I live and learn Coral Maestro :Hat:

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Duckett wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:39 pm For what it’s worth, I’ve seen a couple of News of the World Prize Rods for sale claimed as Sowerbutts. However, I’ve read that the Homer and Sowerbutts families intermarried and that Sowerbutts may have made Homer rods.

I own a Homer whole and built cane rod and have handled several Sowerbutts. Without the name on the butt section and the Homer engraving on one of the ring bands, to my eye, it would be hard to tell one from t’other.

Phil
I have one of these prize rods awarded to TH Goodwin in 1934 for the capture of a fifteen pound mirror carp. The rod is a ten foot Sheffield type rod, two piece construction but with a spare top section six inches shorter. The bag is I'm sure original as it has a shortened section for the spare top and is badged Homers.

Banksy
Brown Trout

Post by Banksy »

A friend of mine, a member of the TFF, has a News of the World prize rod.
It's a Richard Walker Mk 4, the version with the onion shaped top to the handle.
It's a real beauty, and having the provenance adds to its attraction.

I have a cane Mk 4 myself, but I am still jealous!

Coral Maestro
Chub

Re: News of the World prize rod for 1lb 8oz 5dr Dace 1932

Post by Coral Maestro »

Both of those prize rods sound wonderful and would be a pleasure to own!
You may have noticed that the title to this thread has changed as I somehow managed to get my ounces and drams round the wrong way! You just can't get the staff nowadays!
What do they know of fishing who know only one fish and one way to fish for him?
- Jack Hargreaves.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”