Pole dancing.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Delaminated
Bleak

Pole dancing.

Post by Delaminated »

ImageImageImageImageImage

I took a punt last month on a well known auction site on a set of coarse and spinning rods in glass, but the reason I pressed the "buy" button was the inclusion of a set of old fishing poles to be included with the rods.
When I collected the items, I was delighted to find I had four cane roach poles between 18' and 21' approx, along with the rods.
From the left, pole 1, no makers name, is fishable, but the bottom section appears missing. It is signed and with a Club name on the biggest section, so may have been like this for decades. Slender split cane tip, this pole has an appointment made for the new season, hope the roach are understanding.
Pole 2 is by Evans, the pick of the four, light and straight with two tops sadly in solid glass.
Pole 3, no makers name, straight with a stubby split cane tip.
Pole 4, no makers name, stubby split cane tip, sets in the section below this, varnished/painted in a hideous dark red.

I cannot match the craftsmanship of Harry H's work, so basic restorations, it will be a shame if these old soldiers campaign no more.

So, lots of work ahead, at least the all ferrules are reasonably good, but where a butt section for pole No. I can be sourced, may be anyones guess.
Four new tips, miles of whipping, maybe one a year is realistic.

Regards Tom. :fingertap:

MGs
Pike

Re: Pole dancing.

Post by MGs »

Despite all of the work ahead. An excellent purchase
Old car owners never die....they just rust away

Harry H
Rainbow Trout

Post by Harry H »

Delaminated wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:57 pm ImageImageImageImageImage

I took a punt last month on a well known auction site on a set of coarse and spinning rods in glass, but the reason I pressed the "buy" button was the inclusion of a set of old fishing poles to be included with the rods.
When I collected the items, I was delighted to find I had four cane roach poles between 18' and 21' approx, along with the rods.
From the left, pole 1, no makers name, is fishable, but the bottom section appears missing. It is signed and with a Club name on the biggest section, so may have been like this for decades. Slender split cane tip, this pole has an appointment made for the new season, hope the roach are understanding.
Pole 2 is by Evans, the pick of the four, light and straight with two tops sadly in solid glass.
Pole 3, no makers name, straight with a stubby split cane tip.
Pole 4, no makers name, stubby split cane tip, sets in the section below this, varnished/painted in a hideous dark red.

I cannot match the craftsmanship of Harry H's work, so basic restorations, it will be a shame if these old soldiers campaign no more.

So, lots of work ahead, at least the all ferrules are reasonably good, but where a butt section for pole No. I can be sourced, may be anyones guess.
Four new tips, miles of whipping, maybe one a year is realistic.

Regards Tom. :fingertap:
Good luck with your restorations :Thumb:
I did look at those myself then the repeatative strain pains started to return to my elbows and I took a look at the stack of empty whipping spools that have been kept to remind me "don't do it" :Tongue: so my finger moved away from the button. :Hat:
There are three things that improve with age: wine, friendship and water sense, and there's no short cut.
Anthony Shepherdson

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Wish I'd seen them... I have a 4pc Milwards Pole (approx 16') which I love... I have to admit to loving pole fishing... the presentation with a pole is superb...
Wal made two tip sections up for me to run an elastic through some small fly guides whipped along the tip section... one is slightly heavier than the other and rigged with heavier elastic so it could probably deal with fish to 3 or so pounds
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

MoleFisher
Stickleback

Post by MoleFisher »

Your pole does not have a joint missing.The butt joint has been damaged,making it shorter , and a piece of brass tube ,not a ferrule, has been put on at the damaged end.

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Stick with it (terrible pun) . You are handling pieces of history worthy of a second life. Very well found and good luck with big projects . Tony

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

Well spotted, MoleFisher, that’s one restoration worry out of the way.
So a good cleaning, a couple of replacement whippings and a coat of varnish and no gudgeon on is safe!
Maybe ringing the tip for elastic “a la Wal” as Aitch has on his pole will be a worthwhile improvement.

Regards Tom.

Aitch
Pike

Post by Aitch »

Here are some pics showing the elasticated tips that Wal made for my Milwards Pole...
ImageImageImageImage

The orange elastic (size 6 solid) has landed bream up to a couple of pounds and the green (much lighter at size 1-4 hollow) has handled pound(ish) Perch
Just one more cast love, and I'll be on me way home

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures and memories

Liphook
Barbel

Post by Liphook »

That's a clever adaptation Aitch and Wal. Good thinking :Hat:

Delaminated
Bleak

Post by Delaminated »

Thank you for the close up pics of the elasticated tips showing the method in detail, it does look neat and effective.
I must make up a copy and give it an outing as soon as the weather relents.

Regards Tom

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”