other rods

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
ItchenRoach
Gudgeon

other rods

Post by ItchenRoach »

evening all just finished reading understanding barbel by fred crouch ,and I am toying with seeking out one of his rods.i have found an advert in a old barbel fisher magazine circa spring 2001 for the fred crouch barbel perfection made by sharpes rods I would be interested if any members have owned this rod and your thoughts please.

Chubman
Crucian Carp

Re: other rods

Post by Chubman »

hi ray, i have one of fred crouchs rods made by chapmans of ware, the kennet perfection, only 6 made i understand, if you want to give it a waggle just let me know

ItchenRoach
Gudgeon

Post by ItchenRoach »

thanks geff that would be great see you down the river soon.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

This was a small business that took over the Scottie name and logo, previously Sharpes Scottie rods in Aberdeen*, and made rods somewhere in Hertfordshire. The company name I believe was J Weaver and Sons and at some point around the 1990’s involved two cousins; Gary Timms and Phil Hawker. I was an acquaintance at the time.

Edit-this could well have been late eighties, time flies! Looks like it was Harrow in Middlesex - Close!

Gary was a keen (and successful) barbel angler and they collaborated with Fred Crouch to produce the rod you are talking about, based I think on his favourite Kennet Perfection, and with Tony Miles on a modern range called the ‘Supreme’.

It didn’t last too long sadly.

I recall they were nice hand-crafted rods and I believe hand-planed in their workshop, where the experience was historically building fly rods.

I’d have a waggle of a few rods and maybe look out an original Kennet Perfection - and other similar rods - before making a purchase.

*my memory is faded so I can’t guarantee accuracy on any of this and particularly the history and genesis of the brands and how they tied in with Sharpes of Aberdeen etc.
Last edited by Tengisgol on Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Where the willows meet the water...

https://sites.google.com/site/tengisgol/

ItchenRoach
Gudgeon

Post by ItchenRoach »

thanks tengisgol the contact address in the advert is sharpes rods Rayners lane harrow Middlesex does this ring any bells,they list six split cane rods including a chris ball allrounder.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

The Sharpes Fred Crouch rods were made in the 1980's and the initial run was limited to 25. I acquired a pair of them (No's 11 & 12 from memory) but when I got them I soon realised that they were not for me. They were too 'floppy' for me and not powerful enough for my river Trent fishing, even when a double was a good fish.
They certainly wouldn't be suitable now that the average size of Trent barbel is much bigger. I am not sure where you would be doing your fishing, so they may be fine for you.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Snape
Bailiff

Post by Snape »

One of my first cane rods was a Sharpes 'Scottie' Fred Crouch barbel perfection.
It was 2 piece plus handle and was, I think 11' 6" long.
I used it a lot and caught barbel to about 8lb with it and it coped very well. I had it made to my specifications but ended up not liking it having chosen to have the impregnated version and the whipping colours weren't right for the cane colour so I sold it about 8 years ago.
I paid about £250 in the early 90s and it was worth it.
“Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover.
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Didn't Sharpes sell of just their Scottie coarse section?

Fred Crouch rods have been made by Paul Cook plus Sharpes Scottie (Weaver) but I cannot remember Chapmans making some - probably due to so few made!

If my memory serves me correctly there were 2 different Fred Crouch rods made by Sharpes/Weaver - an Avon type + the longer version?

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

ItchenRoach wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:56 am thanks tengisgol the contact address in the advert is sharpes rods Rayners lane harrow Middlesex does this ring any bells,they list six split cane rods including a chris ball allrounder.
Yes, that sounds about right.

Tengisgol
Barbel

Post by Tengisgol »

Bob Brookes wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:02 pm The Sharpes Fred Crouch rods were made in the 1980's and the initial run was limited to 25. I acquired a pair of them (No's 11 & 12 from memory) but when I got them I soon realised that they were not for me. They were too 'floppy' for me and not powerful enough for my river Trent fishing, even when a double was a good fish.
They certainly wouldn't be suitable now that the average size of Trent barbel is much bigger. I am not sure where you would be doing your fishing, so they may be fine for you.
Of course, a lot of Fred’s barbel work was under the near bank on the Kennet, lowering feeders down, and similarly in the Lea at Kings Weir; a far cry from the Trent!

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”