Courier for rod tubes ?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Duckett
Tench

Re: Courier for rod tubes ?

Post by Duckett »

Ljm183 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:11 pm
Olly wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:33 pm Had a tube - about 1.60m/63in - arrive today for a rod bought from eBay on 27th this month.

Courier was - - - - - APC Overnight UK - - not heard of them before
I would never use APC Overnight ever again, even if it was Free.

This is how they treated one of my rods i sent out to a buyer.

I now use Parcelforce for any tubes up to 1.5m and these are insured against loss or damage to the full value. And UPS for tubes over 1.5m up to 2.5m unfortunately they dont insure against loss or damage. Any rods i send out now are sent in a very strong square plastic tubing as used for downpipes.
Thanks for the info on APC Lee.

How do you find the square downpipes? I recently had chats with 2 others considering using them and thought it worth a look.

Cheers,

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Glad for the heads up regarding using them! I had not heard of them until yesterday.

Also glad my rod was delivered intact!

Another NOT to recommend.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Duckett wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:55 pm square plastic tubing as used for downpipes.
How do you find the square downpipes? I recently had chats with 2 others considering using them and thought it worth a look.

Cheers,

Phil

Square downpipes are about as strong as you are going to find, Iv used the round downpipes and had rod rings damaged by the tubes being squashed but the square tubes are a lot stronger.

Duckett
Tench

Post by Duckett »

Ljm183 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:41 pm
Duckett wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:55 pm square plastic tubing as used for downpipes.

Cheers,

Phil

Square downpipes are about as strong as you are going to find, Iv used the round downpipes and had rod rings damaged by the tubes being squashed but the square tubes are a lot stronger.
Cheers Lee. The medieval military historian in me learnt that square castle towers were dropped as round were stronger! However, I doubt rod transport is comparable to castle towers! :Hahaha:

Phil
From "... the wilds of the Wirral, whose wayward people both God and good men have quite given up on ...".

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

As you can see somethings been dropped on it

Crushed enough to break the rod

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Careful with square downpipe, there are some very brittle types out there which shatter if dropped.
The strongest downpipe I have found was bought from B&Q and was about £4.00 for a 2.5 M length. If you use this pipe, save all the 70mm tops from pickle and jam jars, they make great end caps for it.

Wal.

Ljm183
Rainbow Trout

Post by Ljm183 »

Wallys-Cast wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:56 pm Careful with square downpipe, there are some very brittle types out there which shatter if dropped.
The strongest downpipe I have found was bought from B&Q and was about £4.00 for a 2.5 M length. If you use this pipe, save all the 70mm tops from pickle and jam jars, they make great end caps for it.

Wal.
I get my square downpipe from B&Q £5.50 for 2.5m length. Never had any of these shatter, and i splice two together sometimes to make use of the whole pipe.

Wallys-Cast
Pike

Post by Wallys-Cast »

Yes, that's great stuff Lee. End caps can be made from short sections with one side cut out.
The brittle stuff I bought was from one of the plastic centres who sell facia boards and trims for the upvc door and window industry. I cant remember the make but it was quite thin walled too so its fairly easy to recognise.

Wal.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”