H H Norris or W H Norris?

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Re: H H Norris or W H Norris?

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi all, I've just read through this post and followed it towards Bob Brookes mentioned article Aug 2017 re: WH Norris. What a wonderful story it puts this rod into prospective . A great find,such joy, follow Bobs footsteps.Tony

Fredline
Tench

Post by Fredline »

Bob Brookes wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:53 pm .........also, check out Bill (Knocker) Norris in Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops on TFF.
I loved the "Story of a Rod" Bob and it answers a couple of questions. The rod I have is all original apart from the swing tip adaptor and "R H H" are the initials of the original owner. The rod I have just purchased is 12'9",I do not see in your excellent thread the size of your "Knocker" match rod?
If you have no grease with you, and your rings are full of ice, do not cut out the ice with a pen-knife but get your man to put the rings one by one in his mouth, and so to thaw the ice.
John Bickerdyke.

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

Fredline wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:31 am
Bob Brookes wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:53 pm .........also, check out Bill (Knocker) Norris in Traditional Fishing Tackle Shops on TFF.
I loved the "Story of a Rod" Bob and it answers a couple of questions. The rod I have is all original apart from the swing tip adaptor and "R H H" are the initials of the original owner. The rod I have just purchased is 12'9",I do not see in your excellent thread the size of your "Knocker" match rod?
Hi John,
I have measured mine and it is about 12' 3". The tip section is about 3" shorter than the others but I cannot recall ever having a breakage, so I think that it how it was made. I could be wrong as it has been a long while!
Bob :Hat:
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Having had a conversation with John (Fredline) regarding ferruless cane rods, I have handled several over the years and I think they are great! The only down side to them was explained to me years ago by a rod builder. He explained that the idea was to eliminate the weight of the usual metal ferrules on a 'Match' rod. Various ways of strengthening the female joints were tried, usually extra whipping and occasionally a small metal band. Even with this, after very frequent use the comparative weakness of this system compared to metal ferrules could show. I think that the arrival of fibreglass rods put paid to any further development of this kind!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall!
Confucius

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Having had a conversation with John (Fredline) regarding ferruless cane rods, I have handled several over the years and I think they are great! The only down side to them was explained to me years ago by a rod builder. He explained that the idea was to eliminate the weight of the usual metal ferrules on a 'Match' rod. Various ways of strengthening the female joints were tried, usually extra whipping and occasionally a small metal band. Even with this, after very frequent use the comparative weakness of this system compared to metal ferrules could show. I think that the arrival of fibreglass rods put paid to any further development of this kind!
Confucius

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Confucius

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Confucius

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Having had a conversation with John (Fredline) regarding ferruless cane rods, I have handled several over the years and I think they are great! The only down side to them was explained to me years ago by a rod builder. He explained that the idea was to eliminate the weight of the usual metal ferrules on a 'Match' rod. Various ways of strengthening the female joints were tried, usually extra whipping and occasionally a small metal band. Even with this, after very frequent use the comparative weakness of this system compared to metal ferrules could show. I think that the arrival of fibreglass rods put paid to any further development of this kind! :Hat:

LuckyLuca
Barbel

Post by LuckyLuca »

:Tongue: OK Ted, we get the point!! :Tongue:
I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete.

Lea Dweller
Pike

Post by Lea Dweller »

Sorry everyone I only meant to post this once! Old people eh? :Hahaha: p.s. I don't have the option to delete the repeat posts?

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”