Welbeck Sportex

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Thameside
Gudgeon

Welbeck Sportex

Post by Thameside »

Well after searching for a rod I now have a cane rod called Welbeck Sportex 14' Couldn't find any information on this rod so any more about this type of rod would be appreciated.
It's a 14' 3 piece rod that needs 2 new eyes & it looks like someone has put a new tip eye on it. The whipping is a different shade but also is threaded for a swing/quiver tip.

There is local to me someone that re whips eyes which I had done on a couple of modern rods about 15 years ago. Although I am not sure that he will be able to match the eyes or threads until I contact him in a few weeks time.
So any recommendations for someone on here that can do it or is in the Thurrock/SouthWest of Essex this.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Thameside on Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc
Sea Trout

Re: Welbeck Sportey

Post by Marc »

Theres that writing again. Very curious. I've seen that script on a couple of rods. They must have used the same person at a few companies. The 'T' is very distinctive with the upward flicks on the cross arms. I've seen it on Abbey rods, Southwell and one or two others. Good luck with your search.
Marc. (Prince of Durham)

“A life that partakes even a little of friendship, love, irony, humor, parenthood, literature, and music, and the chance to take part in battles for the liberation of others cannot be called 'meaningless'...”

Bob Brookes
Zander

Post by Bob Brookes »

I think that the rod is a Sportex and the model Welbeck is named after the estate lake of that name in the Dukeries area of Nottinghamshire. That lake was a famous bream water and I would suggest that your rod would be well suited for those fish. Of course I may be wrong, but someone on here will know for sure and put me right.
"You do not cease to fish because you get old, you get old because you cease to fish"

Thameside
Gudgeon

Post by Thameside »

Thanks Marc. With the style of writing I was wondering if a certain style of handwriting was common during certain periods. It's a shame that maybe we could make a thread where everyone could upload pics of the writing on the rods. But the down side would be that it could be used to fake rods.

Thameside
Gudgeon

Post by Thameside »

Bob Brookes wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:43 pm I think that the rod is a Sportex and the model Welbeck is named after the estate lake of that name in the Dukeries area of Nottinghamshire. That lake was a famous bream water and I would suggest that your rod would be well suited for those fish. Of course I may be wrong, but someone on here will know for sure and put me right.
Thanks Bob ,it looks like you are right. I have just taken another pic & enlarged it. You can just see the remains of the bottom right of the letter X which I thought was a Y .
Also you are right about the Welbeck estate as that was all I could find that linked Welbeck & Fishing.

Thameside
Gudgeon

Re: Welbeck Sportex

Post by Thameside »

Can just see a fleck of paint that makes up the X. Image

Catfish.017
Eel

Post by Catfish.017 »

Myself and several other members posted about this distinctive script back in April 2018. It was attributed to one Arthur Price of Birmingham who we found was still alive at the time. I have a Lindop rod with the same lettering.

Thameside
Gudgeon

Post by Thameside »

Thanks for the information Catfish.017 , I have done a search & hopefully this is the link to that thread. http://www.traditionalfisherman.com/vie ... thur+price

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”