Well known auction site.

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
NiceRoach
Eel

Well known auction site.

Post by NiceRoach »

Been lurking on eBay recently not with a view to buying, as I haven't been out fishing for
over a year.

Its easy to get used to not going, but I still hope to make it before very long.

Anyway, traditional rods in particular seem to be doing very well, and its nice to see that these
items do the merrygoround at least, and anglers in the UK cherish them.

Regards to all especially the lucky active anglers :Hat:
niceroach

CraigM
Grayling

Re: Well known auction site.

Post by CraigM »

Hope you've re-joined the ranks of the "lucky active anglers" NiceRoach.

I've been fishing since June 16th after a break of 27 months & it's great to be back.

3lb 6oz chub from the Wey on a Milwards Floatrover & a Speedia yesterday & a 5lb bream from the canal on a wholecane rod a couple of weeks back đź‘Ť, although it's looking a bit damp out there today ! Unfortunately, Signal crayfish have not gone away in the interim.

Best wishes for your re-start.

Craig.

Silfield
Brown Trout

Post by Silfield »

Just a word of warning-I have won 4 auctions on there in the last 3 months and I am still waiting for a refund or the goods on 3 of the 4!
Prices seem to have gone through the roof on a lot of stuff and there is some right dross to wade through :tea:
The one item that I did receive thou was a right peach.
“There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind.”
Washington Irving

Old Man River
Eel

Post by Old Man River »

Silfield wrote: ↑Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:17 pm Just a word of warning-I have won 4 auctions on there in the last 3 months and I am still waiting for a refund or the goods on 3 of the 4!
Prices seem to have gone through the roof on a lot of stuff and there is some right dross to wade through :tea:
The one item that I did receive thou was a right peach.

I agree with the above 100%, I am a browser on the "bay, and rarely find anything to whet my appetite, recently I have noticed that some chancers are really pushing the boundaries with the starting bid / buy it now prices on some items that at best, I would describe as skip fodder, one item, in particular seems to be re advertised ad infinitum, and I mean ad infinitum, it has been on for auction at least 15 times with breaks in between, over two years or more, it is a cane landing net handle very basic , and the seller has been asking stupid amounts , which is probably why he never gets a sniff.

I dont know if the "ott" sellers are anglers or dealers with an inflated idea of the value of things piscatorial, whatever, they must be hoping for a lemon to pop along in a lot of cases.

And then as Silfield says, there is the occasional gem.....

OMR.
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Walkerburt
Roach

Post by Walkerburt »

I’m aware that this has been raised before, but I’d love to know the reasoning behind some of the prices. Why does a float that was flying around in a goose in 1998 cost £60? What is this recent obsession about expensive floats? Are people really that gullible - do they carefully place it in a display or do they throw caution to the wind and risk casting it into a tree?

I’m a collector of fishing books, I read them, I restore them, I share them with friends and occasionally, just occasionally, I spend big bucks to buy a rare edition...but floats? It’s a float, for God’s sake. £60? They’re not even good floats in some cases, but they’ve got a transfer on the stem that seems to give a crap float some sort of provenance.

Sorry, I’m ranting, it’s probably an age thing...

Kind Regards
Phil.
The Watcher by the Bridge

Olly
Wild Carp

Post by Olly »

Same could be said about a book - its only a book! A few words put together, then the publisher, etc, - - -
Each to their own surely? Stuffed fish, old reels, cane rods, gags & priests, - - 1000s of collectible items enough for all!

A 'vintage' float made by an "expert" with all singing & dancing - not for me but I do appreciate the maker going to all that effort! A work of art.

Then again Wal makes "works of art" out of old rods with his restorations - as does Barder with bamboo - cane - rod -

It is the chancers on thEbay you need to watch out for - "immaculate & original" yep there are all the bits but not just 3 sections - there are 5 now!

John_Moore
Silver Bream

Post by John_Moore »

Be careful out there....
It's like the old saying "all the gear but no idea"....
John.

Mark
Head Bailiff

Post by Mark »

I am locking this thread before it goes any further chaps. :Hat:

Please see this thread for my reasons why viewtopic.php?f=113&t=17627&p=241743&hi ... ks#p241743

Please also see TFF rule 5 app.php/rules
Mark (Administrator)

The most precious places in the English landscape are those secretive corners,
where you find only elder trees, nettles and dreams. (BB - Denys Watkins-Pitchford).

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”