The Roach Pole

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
NiceRoach
Eel

Re: The Roach Pole

Post by NiceRoach »

I've always had a hankering for a traditional cane roach pole but have never managed to
find one within my reasonable budget, but we live in hope. :tea:
niceroach

EricW
Perch

Post by EricW »

An old thread I know, but I'd like to speak up for the short pole. I have used an old carbon pole which is a complete chore to use at its full length of 12.5 metres, but an absolute delight to fish with at 5 or 6. That's around 20 feet and now I have finally managed to get a 19 foot cane one, I cannot wait to use it. To be honest I always felt I was re-enacting the way that the old thames roach anglers used to fish with my carbon pole but the thought of using this cane one with a homemade crowquill is too exciting for words.
These are the Golden Years. Don't waste them.

Here are some of our fishing films that you may enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUkLb ... -bz8H_vr7A

Old Wulf
Gudgeon

Post by Old Wulf »

Because of the new post from EricW I have only just picked up on this thread. I am always impressed with seeing someone use a pole especially a really long version. I can see that the use of one can allow an angler to present his bait with inch perfect precision. Furthermore I am astounded how decent sized fish can be quickly subdued and brought to the net. Over twenty years ago I used to fish Walcot Lakes in Shropshire and a good number of members of Ludlow Angling Club would fish for the tench with elasticated poles. I would watch from across the lake and see huge lengths fluorescent elastic suddenly erupt from the end of a pole, it really would be a site to behold. But it would be that a tench would soon be in the net, and in those days they averaged between 4 and 5 pounds. As you would expect with fish of this size these anglers would be quite hardworking, unshipping, shipping and then unshipping their pole sections before very quickly netting a good tench.
Yes I can see all the advantages they offer, but don't see myself ever giving fishing with a pole a serious go. It's just that I've never harboured an ambition to be a scaffolder.

Tench Dreamer
Crucian Carp

Post by Tench Dreamer »

EricW wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:44 am An old thread I know, but I'd like to speak up for the short pole. I have used an old carbon pole which is a complete chore to use at its full length of 12.5 metres, but an absolute delight to fish with at 5 or 6. That's around 20 feet and now I have finally managed to get a 19 foot cane one, I cannot wait to use it. To be honest I always felt I was re-enacting the way that the old thames roach anglers used to fish with my carbon pole but the thought of using this cane one with a homemade crowquill is too exciting for words.
Bingo.. me too.

I found the idea of silly money poles, rollers etc a complete and utter switch off, but...

I loved Michael Nadel's book( Poles apart) and indeed at that time fished the Lea and indeed Duckett's canal in east London. I even fished Vicky park.

A good friend on this forum Vole loaned me a 5 m take apart pole and I was away .. I realised the modern use of the whip could be extended by another 2 meters and I had London roach pole .

I found the fantastic Easy Fishing you tube channel with Bill the master of the short pole and I was a way

I still have me short poles but have moved away from London.

short Pole fishing is great fun

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”