Unknown rod - ID help please!

The Other Traditional Rods forum.
Snufkin
Stickleback

Unknown rod - ID help please!

Post by Snufkin »

Hi - this is my first post so I hope it is ok - I've recently bought a cane rod for the princely sum of £5 with the intention of using it; it seems to be in working order although a bit tatty and with some basic repairs/replacement guides. The rod itself feels nice - it's about 10'6" in two sections but doesn't have any makers marks on it - see photos. Ideally I'd like to have it properly restored, or do the parts of the restoration that I feel capable of having a go at. I'm hoping that someone will be able to shed some light on the make of rod and perhaps whether I should keep using it as it is or get it restored.

Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/VYdpMBpGYn5LGAZj8

Thanks very much!

Old Man River
Eel

Re: Unknown rod - ID help please!

Post by Old Man River »

Hello Snufkin..

As it stands I would not myself risk using it yet , it could have problems under all the mess that it has masquerading as rod guides and "fittings" , it certainly has a real variety, and nothing looks original with the exception maybe of the hook keeper and the handle top winding check and butt rubber button, oh, and the lockfast ferrule.

That looks as though it could turn out to be a really nice rod when all the mess has been removed... lockfast ferrule, nicely
shaped handle and as said with a fairly decent winding check and rubber butt button, I think there may be a repair to the "blank" visible on two of the photos, fifth and sixth row down center, it certainly will need looked at when the rod is stripped back, maybe some delamination underneath .

Not sure what make the rod is, could well be a Salmon worming rod /spinning rod with it having the lockfast ferrules, but seems a bit slimmer in the blank, almost of an "Avon" type.

Whatever it is it certainly should pay you back your five pounds investment after it has been rebuilt with some nice low Bells rings and suitable lined tip and butt rings .

Good luck and a good find !

OMR
Hurrumph....... whatever happened to Handlines ?

Tonkin Wand
Grayling

Post by Tonkin Wand »

Hi, Excellent picture gallery .Whilst I was penning a reply ,OMR beat me to it with similar comments.You cannot lose on this one give it a go you got your money back and more if all fails and you salvage the fittings. Oh and welcome to the forum Tony.

Snufkin
Stickleback

Post by Snufkin »

Thanks both - really useful advice. I'll hold off taking it out for a trial run for the time being and have a proper look at it - it is a real mixture of mismatched bits and pieces but looks like it has seen plenty of use! I'd like to bring it back to good condition - I'm a total novice when it comes to cane rods but even in this state it has a great feel and movement to it when it's put together.

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”