Post by Beresford »

PM sent
The Split Cane Splinter Group

David F
Stickleback

Re: W A Croft / Tony Croft / Norco haulage

Post by David F »

Hello folks,

Ive just joined because I have recently inherited a 12 ft, 2 piece Norcro glass beach rod in nearly immaculate condition and google searches led me here.

I know this thread is a year old but I thought I would post anyway.

My rod isn't a 'named' model like some of the other Norcro rods I have seen. It simply has "3-7 OZs" handwritten on it, where you often see the model 'name' and the white oval "Norcro Bickton Mill, Fordingbridge , Hants." sticker just above the writing.

It's a lovely lovely thing in burgundy glass with cherry and amber whipping. The rings are unlined chrome items.

The only flaws are a little light cratering on the chrome, screw down, reel seat fitting and some very fine cracking of the lacquer at the stress points of the eye legs. This is at its worst on the large rings and decreases on the smaller rings as you near the rod tip.

I would like to use the rod but am a bit worried about the practicalities of using a vintage glass rod in the sea, what with the weights required to hold bottom when sea fishing. Any advice on using this rod would be gratefully received.

I've attached photos, hopefully you can see them.

Thanks and best regards,

David

Hampshire.

ImageImage

Return to “Other Traditional Cane Rods”